Help!! I have just marked my new wooden worktops!

(20 Posts)
Wassat Tue 19-May-15 10:37:34

We have just put in a new kitchen with beech worktops, at a great deal of time and effort. Dh has gone away for work and I have unthinkingly just used kitchen bleach spray on them which has left dark stains where I sprayed shock. Is there anyway I can get rid of them before my dh gets back tomorrow night and sees? And, while we're on the subject- how in earth do you clean these bloody things anyway?

grumbleina Tue 19-May-15 11:33:11

What are they sealed with? I have wood and use all sorts of cleaners and haven't had a stain problem. It's not just that it's wet?

Wassat Tue 19-May-15 11:37:11

They've got Danish oil on- they've dried now and still have dark splatter marks- I will never hear the end of it if I can't shift then before dh returns confused

grumbleina Tue 19-May-15 11:39:03

hmmmm. Not sure - is a quick sand and re-oil an option? What happens if you give them a wee sponge with some fairy liquid?

PumpkinsMummy Tue 19-May-15 11:42:40

I use bleach spray on mine but it just gradually takes off the oil. Let it dry, sand it back until the mark is out then re-oil. Wood worktops are good like that, they can take all sorts and just buff out. Don't worry.

Wassat Tue 19-May-15 13:34:33

Thanks so much- does it have to be an electric sander or can I just go at it with some sanding paper?

grumbleina Tue 19-May-15 13:58:21

I'd use sanding paper! A medium fine-ish grit ideally - 120 or so.

Wassat Tue 19-May-15 14:55:02

Ha! Is my diy ineptitude showing? smile great, I'll get on it when the children have gone to bed, thanks again

grumbleina Tue 19-May-15 15:27:06

not at all! good luck with it!

noddyholder Tue 19-May-15 16:15:56

Blimey I wouldn't go at it with sand paper in just patches A sanding needs to be all over and light and even on a marked wooden worktop!

Millymollymama Tue 19-May-15 17:24:38

Not overly helpful but I have said repeatedly on MN that wood can be a problem. My wooden worktops have marked in a flat we own. Impossible to shift without sanding down. Granite or quartz is so much better. How will you clean this work top now?

MrsFlorrick Tue 19-May-15 17:54:13

Don't use sandpaper. Get fine grade steel wool and the Danish oil and put oil on steel wool and rub gently.

Never ever use bleach or oxygen cleaning products (sodium hydroxide type stuff) on or near wood. Turns it black instantly.

A micro fibre cloth rinsed in hot water with a few drops of washing up liquid will clean your surfaces safely but without damage. No bleach on wood ever.

MrsFlorrick Tue 19-May-15 17:55:38

Rub gently with the grain of the wood. Not against it or across it!

Millymollymama Tue 19-May-15 22:36:26

Or get rid of the wood! That's what we are going to do!

Blueskies80 Tue 19-May-15 22:58:45

The best wood protector is OSMO but to put this on I believe you have to sand all the oil off first.
Hope you get it sorted.

RaisingSteam Wed 20-May-15 10:57:46

Timber worktops need hardwax oil (Osmo or similar) for durability. Then you Why on earth are they still fitted with Danish oil? You might as well paint a car with emulsion paint.

Mrs Florrick I bleach my wooden chopping boards and they don't go black? is it certain woods?

chippednailvarnish Wed 20-May-15 11:04:38

I've got oak worktops sealed with Danish oil and after 5 years I've never had a problem with them. I'm interested to see if the OP manages to get the marks out...

MrsFlorrick Wed 20-May-15 17:50:40

Raisingsteam. Some are much worse. Oak is terrible as is beech and maple. Certain pines are ok as they are very resinous woods (pitch pine).

If your chopping boards are rubber wood, they will withstand bleach much better.

I would still avoid the bleach/wood combo though.

prepperpig Wed 20-May-15 17:56:26

How much danish oil was on the worktops? We have black walnut worktops and they take masses of oil before they stop accepting it. I suspect you didn't put enough on.

We have spot sanded our worktops but generally wait until they need an oil anyway.so that you don't get difference in colour.

ToBeeOrNot Wed 20-May-15 20:54:57

We've had no issues with our oak worktops that are treated with Danish oil. Personally I don't like the 'waxy' look that Osmo oil gives.

The beech worktops that we had in a rental were a completely different story, I suspect they weren't treated properly to begin with.

In OPs case I would sand back and retreat. It sounds like they weren't treated well enough to begin with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now