Talk

Advanced search

Built in extractor hood?

(5 Posts)
BasinHaircut Mon 18-May-15 16:51:34

Anyone recommend one? In particular one that will be compatible with an ikea kitchen?

I'm not particularly enamoured with the stainless steel ones and because I want to move my hob over 10cm I'm thinking a built in one could just be ducted to the existing hole rather than have to make another one which I guess if have to do if the casing on a new steel one didn't cover the existing hole (if that makes sense?!).

But they don't seem to be very popular so I'm just wondering whether that's because they aren't as good? Or whether it's just because people like fancy statement extractors and a built in one is maybe considered a bit dated?

WhatsItAllAbout123 Mon 18-May-15 22:01:21

We have the Underverk extractor from IKEA. It fits in a wall cabinet and sits flush with the bottom of it so you can't see it.

I have a feeling we ended up using a pipe which came as part of a ducting kit from screwfix, rather than the ikea pipe, but the pipe is reasonably flexible. If the existing hole is within the cabinet and not obscured by the extractor, then it should work.

I think the fashion is for a fancy statement extractor, rather than the built in ones not being very good. Ours has an extraction rate of 646 cu m/h and is about 65db at max speed, so from my research it is pretty good in terms of specs. So far (5 months use) I'm happy with it.

BasinHaircut Tue 19-May-15 09:23:36

Thanks, that's the one I was looking at so good to know that it might work!

How loud is it in real terms? The spec as you say seems good but in reality is it quiet enough? And does it stop the windows steaming up if you've a pan on?

Our current extractor is a Neff (inherited with house) and is pretty good at extracting and quite quiet. It's just really ugly!

WhatsItAllAbout123 Tue 19-May-15 14:02:20

It has three speed settings. The lowest is very quiet, I can still hear the TV on in the other room (it is at a low volume so you can easily have a conversation over it). The middle setting I can't hear the TV, but can hear my two year old playing. The fastest setting feels very loud as I can't hear my children and is louder than the dishwasher, but it is quieter than my Vax upright vacuum cleaner.

In use, I tend to use the middle speed while boiling pans and my windows don't steam up at all, even if I have three pans boiling away. I only really use the fastest setting when I'm frying stuff or sealing meat. It deals with the smoke / steam brilliantly, much better than the ones I've had in the past and is quieter too.

It's a re-branded whirlpool extractor.

BasinHaircut Tue 19-May-15 20:19:46

Thanks that's a very detailed description of the volume! Really useful as I'm having a kitchen/dining/ family room and so to be able to have it on the lowest or middle settings and it not be unbearably loud is important as people may be watching TV at the same time I'm cooking or having conversations etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now