We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

is there a ^way^ to read the F&B colour chart?

(12 Posts)
LAGWAFIS Mon 18-May-15 14:08:26

i get each page is more or less the same colour greens / blues / reds etc. but is there any correlation in the colours going across re depth or tone or somesuch?

it appears i'm colour blind in the same way as i am tone deaf. i read and read about blue tints and green hints but i just can't see them and now i've accidentally painted my kitchen yellow, which was quite literally the last colour i wanted it to be

Egged Mon 18-May-15 14:14:26

Laughing as I thought from your title this was going to be a satiric thread about reading the names of F and B paints out loud, rather like the shipping news or the football results. 'Elephant's Breath - nil, Wimborne White - one; Tallow - falling slowly.' Etc etc.

No idea about your actual question, sorry.

LAGWAFIS Mon 18-May-15 14:18:07

mouses back - good with fog patches; new white - anticyclonic

more fun than pissing �80 away on bloody yellow grin

Devora Mon 18-May-15 17:36:13

Yes, there is - and I only discovered this very recently - think that each vertical column is toning colours? So if you pick any two from a vertical line, they should work together.

Millymollymama Mon 18-May-15 17:44:26

Their shops have really good people in them who can point you in the right direction too. Vertical lines do work, but you do not have to be a slave to it.

grumbleina Mon 18-May-15 19:16:34

Don't feel bad, I once painted half the living room purple, telling myself the whole time 'it'll probably be grey when it dries'. It wasn't.

crazyhead Mon 18-May-15 20:35:33

I have no instinct with this stuff either. Go into a chichi paint shop with samples of all the other stuff in the room - tiles, curtains, work surfaces - or Internet links/ phone pics where you have no samples. Then chat about ideas and they will help

LAGWAFIS Mon 18-May-15 21:51:05

Our local posh paint shop has the grumpiest most unhelpful staff. sad

The problem is I bought a random selection of colours because they had 75% off. Clearly they had the least popular colours to flog off cheap. Now I have to figure out if any of them work together.

I'm warming to the yellow (house white) and wondering if a bluey gray (Parma gray) will work with it or look all a bit 80s

BlueBee Tue 19-May-15 07:16:48

Go on their website. They put colours together that flow and link. It really helped me for ideas.

BlueBee Tue 19-May-15 07:17:34

Like this for example.

vinoandbrie Tue 19-May-15 17:40:45

Yes, the colours match vertically. Each vertical strip is a family of colours that will go together. I know this as I paid for an F&B consultation.

That sounds massively up myself, but I'm not, promise! Just saying as evidence as to how I'm sure about this!

LAGWAFIS Tue 19-May-15 19:29:34

Thanks vino. So are there horizontal relationships too or just the horizontal ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now