Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone bought made-to-measure roller blinds? What sort of price were they compared to off the shelf?

(9 Posts)
bryte Fri 15-May-15 10:41:03

I need two roller blinds for my kitchen. I want them to be suitable for the kitchen environment. They don't need to block out light. I can't find anything I like in John Lewis. I'm thinking of getting an independent company in to give us a quote for made to measure. Is it likely to be silly money in comparison to off the shelf roller blinds?

HelenF350 Fri 15-May-15 11:27:09

There are several internet based companies that you can give your measurements to and they will make up blinds to fit, much cheaper than getting a local company to make made to measures. I used 24/7 blinds several years ago and they sent me fabric samples next day and I got over 6ft wide roller blinds for less than £40. I think delivery took about a week and a half. They were very easy to fit, just a few screws.

HelenF350 Fri 15-May-15 11:28:17

If I remember correctly the local company wanted over £200 per blind! shock

TheUnwillingNarcheska Fri 15-May-15 11:48:08

I can't tell if you are going to fit them yourself which is very easy to do.

Like Helen I have used blinds 24/7 and Blinds2go for made to measure roller, horizontal venetian and a gorgeous roman blind.

I order samples, then choose from that. They have instant quotes, just fill in the measurements on their website and it tells you instantly what it will cost.

The only time we used a local blind company was when we had perfect fit blinds and we had 7 blinds to do. They have to be mm accurate so we left that to the experts.

bryte Fri 15-May-15 12:10:10

Oh - okay. If I can get samples of fabric sent to me from online companies, I might do that. I'm being quite fussy about the fabric/design, as they could make or break the kitchen.

50shadesofmeh Fri 15-May-15 13:37:53

i used blinds2go as i have odd windows the average was £50 a window, we fit them ourselves.

Cedar03 Fri 15-May-15 13:48:48

Cost is definitely more than off the shelf blinds. But in terms of time taken to do it they were well worth the money. First kitchen blind - long, approx 7ft long, awkward to put up - cost about £30 off the shelf and a morning's worth of swearing from H. Blind stopped working properly after about 6 months or so and we just ignored it for ages.

New blind cost about £130, including fitting it. Cost depends very much on the fabric you choose but you do get more variety of fabric with made for measure.

We live in an old house, with awkward windows and we're not great at DIY.

bimbobaggins Fri 15-May-15 14:27:36

I have recently had a roller blind made to measure. Quite a wide bedroom window. Cost £120. I know i could get a much cheaper option of the shelf but i needed it fitted.

bryte Fri 15-May-15 14:31:18

Thanks. I don't mind paying more - just not silly money more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now