Talk

Advanced search

Where shall I have my new radiator and what type?

(10 Posts)
Fourarmsv2 Thu 14-May-15 20:30:47

We're having a window removed from our kitchen diner & French doors added.

However, that involves moving a radiator.

From my rubbish sketch, where would you put it?

Siting it on the one remaining long wall will involve pipework being moved by lifting upstairs floorboards.

Putting it on wall between lounge and dining area would be simpler but there would only be room for a tall radiator. Would that look odd?

Any thoughts?

PigletJohn Thu 14-May-15 20:59:12

A long, low radiator keeps the room at a more regular temperature than a short tall one. It spreads the heat more evenly.

No dimensions on your sketch, but consider one at each side of the french windows (but not behind curtains).

Fourarmsv2 Thu 14-May-15 21:39:15

We've got about 50cm either side of the doors (to garden not lounge).

Was erring towards wall from dining room to lounge.

Long low radiator would end up behind a sofa so probably little heat anyway.

Added issue - we rarely use gas CH anyway - try to use oil radiators as we have solar panels.

Khalinda Thu 14-May-15 22:05:57

We've put a tall one in next to our patio doors and I'd do the same with your drawing. It gives an amazing heat out, keeping the heat much longer than our other "regular" radiators...it's one of these www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/supplies4heat-cornel-vertical-3-column-radiators/

Fourarmsv2 Fri 15-May-15 06:43:43

Thanks - will have a look smile

grumbleina Fri 15-May-15 09:30:43

I was massively anti tall-radiator but DH won that war in the living room and I have to admit he was right - having an entire extra wall makes a big difference to the space, it looks ok and we haven't had issues with the heat output. Would recommend, grudgingly.

BumWad Fri 15-May-15 09:31:58

Check out the Eucotherm radiators they are fab

Khalinda Fri 15-May-15 10:43:44

OP, you can also get them sprayed whatever colour you want (for a small extra charge). We have our patio door one sprayed the same colour as the patio door. It wasn't that company that we brought from by the way (incase they don't do the spraying thing) I didn't have my paperwork to hand.

samsam123 Fri 15-May-15 22:44:50

screwfix are great

Fourarmsv2 Sun 17-May-15 18:32:02

Thanks, decided on wall radiator smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now