Talk

Advanced search

Extractor fan for external wall in kitchen that won't go 'crack' in the wind.

(4 Posts)
Thesunrising Wed 13-May-15 21:02:36

Our builder/architect says we need an extractor fan in our kitchen/breakfast area in addition to the hob extractor - for building regs. Fine - though can't think we'll ever need it as I throw open the doors anyway when I'm cooking.

But, if we absolutely have to have one, it absolutely must be the kind that doesn't make a cracking/snapping sound when it's windy outside. Our bathroom one on the same external wall drives me nuts so this one has to be silent!

Can anyone recommend me a standard model that will fit the bill please as the builder is pushing us to specify a model. Thank you!!

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 17-May-15 16:30:22

I would query this. We had a new kitchen put in recently and our over-hob extractor met building regs. As I understand it, the extractor needs to be ducted to outside and needs to have an extractor rate of X litres per minute, Why not just ensure that your over-hob extractor does that?

Pigket John explains extractor fans really well - hopefully he'll be along to comment shortly.

Kieron79 Sun 17-May-15 20:14:41

Depends upon the building inspector but we have just finished our kitchen/diner/living extension and he did not even pick up on the lack of extractor. Our builder just said see what happens and no big deal if had to be retrofitted

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 17-May-15 20:23:10

i expect its the external grill (airoutlet) that cracks in the wind. You can get all sorts of different extractor vent cowls and the good news is they're about £5. If the one you've got is the little overlayed flaps then why not try changing to a fixed cowl.

Its all of a 10 minute job to swap it over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now