Talk

Advanced search

Damn Pinterest, can anyone help me find these tiles?

(25 Posts)
TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 13-May-15 12:36:42

I wasn't that bothered about what to have as a splashback in the kitchen considering we have lived without one for almost 2 years but it has been on the "to do" list.

Then I decided to look on Pinterest. Big mistake. I have totally fallen in love with large hexagonal white tiles but I am struggling to find some in the UK let alone near where I live. Not only have I fallen in love with them but DH has too.

Ideally I think we want 3 inch tiles in white but we would consider a duck egg blue colour, not grey as our kitchen is already 3 different shades of grey with units, flooring and paint.

We will be using a coloured grout with them. Anyone know where I can get some? I have googled long and hard but everything I find involves shipping it in from overseas.

lolalotta Wed 13-May-15 12:42:10

Have you tried Fired Earth?

reallybadidea Wed 13-May-15 12:46:48

These? m.wallsandfloors.co.uk/catrangetiles/hexagon-tiles/hexagonal-white-mosaic-tiles/white-hexagon-gloss-tiles/21353/?gclid=CjwKEAjw7MuqBRC2nNacqJmIpT0SJABQXAOt7xALSQ1clGDhNHth0DIjHyEsSNyPBjkEj9IvA9O_JRoC6nHw_wcB

EauPea Wed 13-May-15 12:55:21

like these?

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 13-May-15 13:17:34

Thank you to all of you flowers

I have looked at your suggestions, EauPea I think they are the small mosaics which are just a bit too small.

reallybad They are lovely but I am laying them myself that would be a lot of hard work and I don't want to have to pay for a tiler if I can avoid it.

Lola Fired Earth do it but it is on a full tile rather than individual tiles on a mesh backing. But at least I can go and see it in the flesh.

PrimalLass Wed 13-May-15 14:31:34

You can get coloured grout from B&Q.

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 13-May-15 15:42:10

Excellent, thank you Primal I shall have a look.

cressetmama Wed 13-May-15 16:15:43

Mine are about an inch across and matt but they look the same as your picture. They are what I have always called subway tiles and they come on a netted sheet so you fit them by the square foot to the wall, then grout the whole lot using a squeegee, and finally polish away the residues. According to my tiler, they were a PITA to cut and fit because (1) they are individual tiles and (2) they are extremely hard. However, the finished result is great. If you are struggling to find them, I will see if I can find where I got mine (it was online, from a UK supplier, not the US); they were pretty reasonable in price too. We used a darkish grey grout.

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 13-May-15 16:56:03

Thank you cress if you could look that would be great.

I have done a fair bit of tiling, bathrooms, en-suites, kitchens including laying problematic glass ones, mosaic and floor tiles etc which is why I know a tiler would charge me an arm and a leg because the ones I want will be a bit of an arse.

I will go as small as 2 inch tiles but not the teeny tiny mosaic ones because I already have those in my cloakroom and I don't want them that small in the kitchen.

I also like the Moroccan shaped ones but I think that is beyond my tile laying skills especially because I will have to cut around sockets.

cressetmama Wed 13-May-15 17:16:16

Will do, but it may be tomorrow now because NDN's bees are feeling irritable and I have to go out to the shed!

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 13-May-15 17:21:25

Ooh yes, don't go out whilst the bees are irritable <does not want stinging of MNetter on hands>

grumbleina Wed 13-May-15 19:04:40

They're johnson prismatics I think?

grumbleina Wed 13-May-15 19:06:47

Oh just re read- johnson are full tiles too but they'll be cheaper than fired earth. I don't think you can get big tiles on the mosaic backing, or, I haven't seen them (and I did quite a lot of research on these!)

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 13-May-15 19:42:08

Thanks grumble the Johnsons one doesn't bring up the full tile but just a sheet only teeny mosaics. I have never been so frustrated with a search before [cry]

CaptainHolt Wed 13-May-15 19:46:59

I was going to say Johnson prismatics too

CaptainHolt Wed 13-May-15 19:51:18

prismatic may be a bit bigger

I've used mapei coloured grout before. It was very good

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 13-May-15 22:25:16

Sorry, I realise I used the term full tile, you can get one large tile 30cm x 30cm but it has several hexagonal tiles on it so a faux mosaic so to speak. Like this
<--

It has lines within the tile that you fill with grout. My sister had these years ago but in a subway style tile, very effective. I am ordering samples of everything to see what I get back. I was just hoping someone would say, ooh yes, I laid these last week, they are 3 inch sheet mosaic and were a bargain from X.

I am laying them myself so the individual tiles will be too time consuming and as it is a kitchen splashback the leaning over a worktop bit will be crappy too.

Captain I used Mapei dark grey grout in between grey teeny mosaics, I liked it but it is quite sandy textured. Looks good though.

grumbleina Thu 14-May-15 09:18:28

Prismatics definitely come in single tiles- if you're in London there's a showroom near Oxford St where you can get samples.

Just to put the cat among the pigeons, there is also a matte finish version but I forget who makes them. I think I saw them in a showroom on Upper St. You could try worlds end tiles as well- also London but they do good customer service so if you called and explained what you were after they might be able to help!

cressetmama Thu 14-May-15 11:02:01

www.tiles-direct.com/hexagon-mosaic-tiles-c45/hexagon-tiles-c512

Narcheska, have run the gauntlet of the bees to the shed and the box is completely white, showing no information whatsover. I remember mine were made by a company whose name began with W... how's that for useful? These are similar, but come in more sizes to mine, which are the 7/8". Happy hunting!

cressetmama Thu 14-May-15 11:02:45

More sizes and colour than mine! Grammatical lapse.

Lelivre Thu 14-May-15 13:48:57

OP if you find what you are looking for please do share.

I am after the exact same thing for the same reason as you. These scored type tiles are much easier to work with than the ones on the mesh. Hope you find them!

LAGWAFIS Fri 15-May-15 21:56:22

This rang a bell and reminded me of my own Pinterest fuelled tile search

The ones I wanted (ogee shaped) turned out to be from this American supplier here I tried every avenue and even emailed them about shipping to the uk but they didn't get back to me

So this might be helpful.....or not

EauPea Fri 15-May-15 22:13:33

roughly 2"

EauPea Fri 15-May-15 22:21:28

white and grey

Lelivre Mon 25-May-15 18:18:13

OP were any of your samples ok? Would love to know what you went for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now