Talk

Advanced search

Silestone worktop - How deep should we go...

(9 Posts)
AesopsMables Sat 09-May-15 20:54:41

I have picked everything for our new kitchen apart from...

Depth of Silestone worktop (Lyra) against FB Cornforth White units and Dark Grey (thinking Downpipe) Island.

All the pics I see show nice chunky depth but my kitchen designer plans shows the standard depth. This is just half the size of the lovely pics I have saved on Pinterest and wondered if anyone has chosen and installed Silestone with extra depth i.e. attached to plywood?

If so, please could you share your opinion/advice?

Enchancia Sat 09-May-15 22:29:24

We wanted to do this - were thinking 50-60mm, but when we looked into it with a couple of companies we were put off and ended up going for the standard 30mm. To create 60mm they would either lay 2 pieces of 30mm on top of each other (expensive, and visible join at ends) or as you say bulk up underneath with plywood and at the edge do either a V-groove (hard to explain but 45 degree angle cut so that edge looks smooth) or 'birds beak' edge (in and out, which was not the look we wanted). Worktop manufacturer said this would be more unstable / more likely to give problems and that if it were him he would either do 30mm silestone (the standard depth it comes in) or go for Corian, which we could easily do to any depth. For what it's worth, having been very keen on the 'deep' look, we are delighted with our newly installed standard worktop smile

pinkje Sun 10-May-15 10:10:36

I have a kitchen just as you describe it. If you can wait until I've tidied and taken a few photos you'll see what we have which is a thick top and waterfall on one side of island (facing to dining area) in Lyra and thin on the sink side. Units are painted Purbeck Stone and Downpipe.

Gusthetheatrecat Sun 10-May-15 10:14:53

I am also planning a Lyra worktop - are we all sheep or is it just objectively beautiful?!
Would love to see pics.

JulesJules Sun 10-May-15 10:31:09

I am also planning a very similar worktop, from John Lewis. (Quartz Apollo) We have grey slate Amtico flooring and I want cream coloured cupboards rather than white, but I'm having a hard time imagining what this will look like, will the cream be a bit too yellow toned?

I'd like to see pics too!

AesopsMables Sun 10-May-15 13:00:37

Thanks for the responses all and I have been told the same thing Enchancia

But something tells me to at least look into it as I think the chunky look makes it look more 'comfy'!? I know that sounds silly but the island especially is going to be large with 4 stools at an angle so will be the main sitting area in the kitchen - then I have the other thought 'Can I go chunky on the island and normal depth on the wall run units?? Decisions Decisions

pinkje I would love to see your photos - please please share them and I will pop mine on next Saturday as having final graphics done then.

We are not sheep gusthetheatrecat! Just have shared exquisite taste in Silestone! It is a lovely design and will go with lots of colours/styles so is a wise investment I believesmile

pinkje Sun 10-May-15 13:42:57

These aren't from today but from when the kitchen was first installed,

AesopsMables Sun 10-May-15 16:55:33

That looks beautiful pinkje Downpipe looks lovely with Lyra I think. Can you tell me what flooring you have gone for? I am wondering if I should choose a warmer floor or go for pale grey Amtico.

I may have to look at purbeck stone also as it looks warmer than Cornforth smile

I cannot have a waterfall effect as all sides are in use within my island.

pinkje Sun 10-May-15 19:15:54

We bought ceramic tiles from Porcelanosa for the floor - zone nature 60cm x 60cm. I've been really pleased with them so far. I don't know if you're close to a showroom but they are worth a visit; just wait until they have one of their 40% off sales - which happen twice a year I think.

I agree that the Lyra and downpipe match well though the downpipe isn't exactly like the colour swatch - in real life I think there's a lot of blue in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now