Talk

Advanced search

Rewiring - anyone got any ball park figures?

(13 Posts)
Theas18 Fri 08-May-15 19:29:09

Selling mums house. 1960s 3 bed detached.

Never been rewired.

We are/ were planning a splendid new kitchen ( burrgerit kitchen is bought !) but thrn mum got ill and it didn't happen. Now it transpires we need pretty much a full rewire before the kitchen can be fitted to current regulations.

Anyone got a feel for the cost - no frills just whats needed ( yes we have asked an electrician , it's not easy getting 2nd quotes without being there in the week hence asking here to know it it's reasonable or not)

Also, if you were buying said house as a" dooer upper " I appreciate you'd try yo get as much off as possible for the work to be done but would it out you off buying ?

We really aren't sure if the best thing is to bite the bullet and get it done ( and incur packing / storage costs for contents as the sparky says it needs to be empty to work to his quote ) and do the kitchen - in which case I'm sure it'll sell fast.... Or to put it on at a slightly lower price and fight all the cheeky so and dos that think a 30k reduction for this is appropriate.

YorkieButtonsizeMen Fri 08-May-15 19:31:57

Ours was around 3K I think, last year - that was a 3 bed flat. Full rewire.

Much cheaper than selling at a vast reduction.

CallMeNancy Fri 08-May-15 19:32:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CallMeNancy Fri 08-May-15 19:33:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YorkieButtonsizeMen Fri 08-May-15 19:33:26

It could take around a month though IME. And make sure you get someone fully certified by a competent person scheme (Niceic, elecsa etc) as ours wasn't and we had to pay someone else to sign it off.

Also allow for making good to walls etc.

YorkieButtonsizeMen Fri 08-May-15 19:35:01

sorry crossed posts. Yes our spark was a young guy who wasn't experienced with Victorian lath and plaster. Cue me spending about another month trying to fix the sockets into the walls with bits of wood and easifix plaster...not happy...and there was rather a lot of chasing too, which was a proper nightmare.

Theas18 Fri 08-May-15 20:24:07

Hmm the quote we have is 3.9k for rewiring the lights ( no earth many " tasteful" metal wall light fittings so both v dodgy without Earth and a pain to do ) replacing a circuit that's died and been cobbled together , sorting all the kitchen electrics , re do rip off electrics to garage - old people stung by a drive way paving team who were absolutely taking them for every penny ( mum was spending like water at that point to get below care threshold and thy saw her coming ).

I think if we receive we need to do sockets too as that's prob illegal now but more upheaval.

I think we'll stick the kitchen in the garage and see what interest we have in the house at the price we want. Thrn if the offers are stupidly low we can always get it done but we'd save 10k or do by not doing it ( electrics, kitchen and storage of stuff) and I guess we can recoup some of the kitchen cost by selling it on.

Mind you if rewire takes 3 weeks peopje will surely want it done before they move ?

Woozlebear Fri 08-May-15 20:30:54

5-10k depending on whether like for like or alterations, and depending on level of making good required, and depending on whether occupied at time). That's SE prices.

Something sold as a doer upper would normally be priced and marketed as such to start with. I would never ask for more money off a doer upper for rewire (I bloody would for a house being sold as in good condition though! See my other thread confusedconfused)

Woozlebear Fri 08-May-15 20:31:18

5-10k depending on whether like for like or alterations, and depending on level of making good required, and depending on whether occupied at time). That's SE prices.

Something sold as a doer upper would normally be priced and marketed as such to start with. I would never ask for more money off a doer upper for rewire (I bloody would for a house being sold as in good condition though! See my other thread confusedconfused)

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 08-May-15 20:40:00

Basic rewire, extra sockets, recessed ceiling lights, for three bed detached after negotiation I supplied fittings £1500 North West two years ago.

But we were replastering and pulled floor boards/ loft insulation for ceiling lights so electrician chased out we did all making good. Replastering was another £600ish

Last house 2500sqft very solid walled house four/ five tiny cottages knocked into one so 1m stone walls to drill through between rooms at points to get ring circuits in. Complete from scratch rewire all sockets and fittings supplied except wall lights £3500 plus making good by plasterer in that instance the plastering ran to about £3000 which was awhole house back to bare wall replaster special three layer plaster first layer ground floor including damp treatment / tanking. (Wales five years ago).

grumbleina Fri 08-May-15 20:48:55

I don't think I'd do it. In order to put in extra sockets for modern loads of appliances living, dimmers etc, it's loads of faff and money. But if you just do a basic one then you risk people going 'oh we'd have to update the electrics'.

If it needs doing up anyway then people will usually expect to need to rewire.

I would fix anything that's actually dangerous though, if possible.

CarcerDun Fri 08-May-15 20:56:47

We are buying your

CarcerDun Fri 08-May-15 21:01:14

We are buying your house well one like it and have been quoted 4-5k for a full rewire by our trusted electrician. A full rewire would put people off who have to move in and then have it done before they unpack! I would definitely do it. If you don't, then offer your buyers access between exchange and completion to do the works. Our vendor has agreed to this (empty house) and its saved three weeks of living in a hotel with a toddler for us.

The kitchen if you can sell it, I would rather choose my own and have the house marketed accordingly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now