Talk

Advanced search

Buying Advice, please!

(8 Posts)
VictorGollancz Fri 08-May-15 15:59:09

Bear with a first-time buyer who doesn't know what she's doing...

So, we're buying a house and the survey shows up some standard issues. When I chatted with the surveyor he was very clear that we needed to have the 'high damp readings' and the electrics checked out before we go any further. The house has a damp course which is noted on the survey. I have an electrician friend and have had a local damp firm recommended by friends. No problem.

I rang the agent to ask for a convenient time to send them round. The agent called me back saying that the vendor has a person (one of the big firms I've been warned off) and that the damp course is under guarantee. They'll let me have a copy of the report, says the agent.

Thing is, the papers that are with my solicitor make no mention of a damp course or guarantee - even in the section that specifically asks if the property benefits from guarantees, etc.

I said she shouldn't go to the trouble and I would be happier to have my own survey performed. Estate Agent got very defensive at this; the vendor's firm is 'very reputable' (quite the opposite to what I've been told) and it is very unusual for a buyer to want their own survey.

Am I odd or is the EA? And should I be worried that a damp course which the seller had no knowledge of has suddenly acquired a guarantee?

As you can tell, I have no idea! Any advice very gratefully received.

lalalonglegs Fri 08-May-15 16:03:28

Well, you might as well see what paperwork the seller has and what is or isn't covered. If the damp your surveyor has found is included, you can ask the vendor to claim under the guarantee.

FadedRed123 Fri 08-May-15 16:04:34

Have your own surveys done. EA is acting on behalf of the vendor not you. Yes it will add to your costs, which is a pity and a PITA, but peace of mind is valuable to you. It might also save you a lot of hassle and expense in the future. Go with your gut feeling.

VictorGollancz Fri 08-May-15 16:05:39

Thanks for the reply. Say if the work is covered and is done under the seller's guarantee. Should I then send someone round on my behalf to verify the work? The surveyor emphasised that this could be a particularly expensive problem to fix and that it really should be established pre-sale. It's got me nervous...

VictorGollancz Fri 08-May-15 16:07:30

Thanks Faded. My gut is telling me that our own survey is the best way to go. The EA seems determined to make this difficult though, which makes me feel like they're hiding something.

oddfodd Fri 08-May-15 16:41:52

I'd get your local firm round if you trust them. Also, guarantees are not always transferable between home owners so it might not be worth the paper its written on

VictorGollancz Sat 09-May-15 07:01:43

Thanks all, that's good advice.

Both EA and seller just seem so angry with us. Every time I ask a question it's greeted with 'oh, I'm surprised you want that'. I have to phone several times and (calmly) argue my case over and over again to get anything done. They drag their feet while we are hassled to comply as quickly as possible. I don't mind stating my case until I get my own way, it just feels very lonely.

Can you tell I'm frustrated smile I've found the buyers' support thread...

FadedRed123 Sat 09-May-15 14:41:51

Victor the first line of your OP says you are first time buyer who doesn't know what she is doing and maybe that's what the vendor and EA are using to try to rush things through to their agenda.
It's your first house, you've found the one you want, it's exciting -which can makes you vulnerable to 'sharp practice'.
Maybe time to be a bit more assertive and give them a time limit to comply with your reasonable requests to get this sorted, otherwise you will withdraw your offer.
If the vendor wants a sale (and EA their commission from sale), they then need to stop making it difficult for you - YOU'RE the person they need to please, not vice versa.
Best of luck. cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now