Talk

Advanced search

Since when does a dripping tape equal buying brand new taps?

(7 Posts)
mayihaveaboxofchoculaits Fri 08-May-15 15:00:28

I've got a dripping tap,nothing spectacular but it will only get worse,right?

I thought I needed a rubber washer from the hardware shop, stick it in and we are good to go.Right?Wrong,I actually need a 1/4 turn cartridge because the tap is a modernish(5 years old) mixer one, with no identifing makers mark.
Apparently there are so many types (and knock offs) all with different replacement bits. The plumbers merchant said it was a minefield and a licence to print money.
So im actually considering laying out £70 plus plumbers fitting costs to get over a problem 20 years ago I could fix with a 5p washer.
this is another case of inbuilt obsolescence and im paying the price. Has anyone had the same problem and got round it in a creative way? Or do I just suck it up, and vow only to use really basic taps in the future?

wonkylegs Fri 08-May-15 15:06:29

I've fixed a modern mixer tap but I knew what make it was and the replacement parts weren't that expensive.
This is why I prefer branded plumbing fixtures

mayihaveaboxofchoculaits Fri 08-May-15 15:36:33

This was my big mistake,not thinking to keep the box info (who does?).
The cartridges are only about 8 quid, i think, but not having the info is a big problem. Thanks for getting back though,wonky.

nemno Fri 08-May-15 15:46:48

Don't beat yourself up, knowing the make and model might not help. I've identified our 5 year old kitchen tap as a Deva one still in production, but after my plumber being given 2 incorrect cartridges the story now is that it is unavailable and we need a new tap. 2 plumber visits so far and still a dripping tap. Going for Bristan this time.

yomellamoHelly Fri 08-May-15 16:06:42

We tried to replace washers, but the taps had been over-tightened so many times the thread "was bare" and so we had to get new taps. My mum did the same to her taps (only she was responsible for doing it - new build - as she was obsessed by the idea of a dripping tap).

mayihaveaboxofchoculaits Sat 09-May-15 15:17:51

Thanks for kind words nemno and yomel.
It will have to wait to be replaced for a couple of months, 'til the finances allow, but this time i'll keep the brand name. I'll start research with checking out Bristan.

chocolateyay Sat 09-May-15 15:23:22

It was news to me too - apparently its a 'new tap thing'. I was so happy when our plummer told me that our one in the kitchen just needed a washer!

Sodding disposable consumer culture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now