Could prob get for £195k but need to spend £10k on new kitchen etc

House B

Semi detached
Large living room
Large dining room
3 double bedrooms
Small garden
No driveway
Probably get for £215k and needs £20k spent which is doable but pushing it slightly.

Both are in really short distance of each other so nothing between them in terms of location. Not sure if the small garden and kitchen is a deal breaker on house B even though living space is bigger...

katemyn Wed 06-May-15 20:09:06

Meant to add house b has a small kitchen! Not tiny, but maybe smaller than we have now...

Rudawakening Wed 06-May-15 20:09:56

I'd go with detached and driveway, not being able to park outside your house will wear pretty thin after a while (speaking from experience) and if you get horrible neighbours move in next door it isn't as bad in a detached as a semi, especially if noisy.

Bakeoffcake Wed 06-May-15 20:11:09

How many people will be living there?

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Wed 06-May-15 20:12:10

House A.
Detached & driveway beats bigger red bedroom & small kitchen.
plus it's cheaper.

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Wed 06-May-15 20:12:45

3rd not red. ^^

katemyn Wed 06-May-15 20:13:12

Myself, partner, one toddler and hopefully another in the not to distant future! Although there's no driveway, house B is in a close so seems to be adequate parking

katemyn Wed 06-May-15 20:14:36

Myself, partner, toddler and hopefully another in not to distant future! Although B has no driveway it's in a small close with decent enough parking x

roomonmybroom Wed 06-May-15 20:15:54

Suppose it depends if you really need that 3rd double bedroom really, but detached with drive and larger garden would win for me.

dontcallmelen Wed 06-May-15 20:16:10

Hi if you dont need three double bedrooms, I would go for house A mainly as its detached, easier to extend in the future, plus driveway & larger garden all big plus, good luck with what ever you decide.

Bakeoffcake Wed 06-May-15 20:18:18

I too would go for house A.

The parking can still get awkward in a close and I really don't like small kitchens. I'd much rather have a kitchen diner, than separate rooms.

katemyn Wed 06-May-15 20:18:18

I've just realised house B has a drive! Sorry! Been a stressful day and clearly I'm loosing the plot! X

Bakeoffcake Wed 06-May-15 20:19:27

Okgrin

Can you make the kitchen/dinning room into one room or are you happy with them being separate?

AbsentMindedNumpty Wed 06-May-15 20:20:34

OP, house with driveway wins. On street parking is hit and miss. Also, detached - you can make more noise grin.

MsDran Wed 06-May-15 20:26:03

House A if it has the potential for you to extend on the future.
The only thing House B has in it's favour is a 3rd double bedroom.
However I think garden and detached trump that.

katemyn Wed 06-May-15 20:32:58

The kitchen in house B is small and separated by a half height wall. You could take this down so become open plan I suppose but still has doorways etc so probably wouldn't add a lot of extra space for cabinets/appliances etc. house B just felt so much lighter and brighter...

Bakeoffcake Wed 06-May-15 20:38:48

Could you go and look at the both again?

House A wins on paper, but if you feel House B is nicer then go and look again just to make sure.

Liara Wed 06-May-15 20:42:29

I'd always go for the garden with children. Plus it's cheaper so you could spend the money on extending or whatever.

BrieAndChilli Wed 06-May-15 20:43:39

Could you link to them so we can see?
There may be scope to put in patio doors, bigger windows etc in house A or paint a brighter colour etc
I expect house a has more scope for extension, especially if a bigger garden.

cathyandclaire Wed 06-May-15 20:45:48

Looking at your replies I think you prefer house B, go for that. I've always gone for instinct, it's worked so far grin

katemyn Wed 06-May-15 20:45:50

Will go see them both again! Living space was just so much bigger in house B. Gutted the kitchen and garden are just a bit small. I just keep thinking we spend more time indoors so garden is less priority so house B wins, but then I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and house A has better kitchen that wins!! Think I'll toss a coin...grin

katemyn Wed 06-May-15 20:49:50

This will out me but oh well!!
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50682083.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34144692.html

katemyn Wed 06-May-15 20:51:16

Doesn't work! What am I doing wrong?!

soontobemumofthree Wed 06-May-15 20:55:22

I would go for the larger kitchen/kitchen diner personally. Also I'd love to get a new kitchen! Is there any way you can "lighten up" the living room ?

Also when dcs bigger, garden really gets used, even if you are inside.

Bakeoffcake Wed 06-May-15 20:55:41

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50682083.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34144692.html

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now