Talk

Advanced search

Downsizing - help us plan our extension

(7 Posts)
BatCrapCrazy Wed 06-May-15 20:04:12

We've just bought this house
http://www.peteralan.co.uk/properties/8093696/sales

We are downsizing from a 4 bed with two seperate reception rooms and a fair size kitchen diner.
We can put an extension on the back of the house (single storey) that will run the width of the house and can come out about 2.5m. I'm desperate to turn the kitchen into a kitxhen diner and would love for the kids to have a small room for their shite toys.

HELP!

BatCrapCrazy Wed 06-May-15 20:07:20

www.peteralan.co.uk/properties/8093696/sales

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 06-May-15 20:14:23

Could you convert the current kitchen into the kids playroom/den. Then make a large open plan kitchen/breakfast room from the current dining room and new extension across the back of the house.

BatCrapCrazy Wed 06-May-15 20:25:06

That's not a bad idea. The kitchen is brand new though so we would have to try and reuse the units. I bloody hate the kitchen tiles and the boiler is in a really awkward place (right next to the cooker, not boxed in or anything) so would solve that problem. Would have to see if I can find out where the previous owners bought the kitchen from so we can match up.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 06-May-15 20:48:51

My first thought was to use the existing dining room as the kids room, keep the kitchen or part of the kitchen but knock through and extend into the extension along with incorporating a dining/breakfast area. But I don't think you can do that as the new kids room (old dining room) wouldnt then have a window.

Or do a smaller extension just at the back of the kitchen and have a smaller dining area. Then the old dining room, as new kids room, still has light.

Although I think if I had planning permission I'd make full use of it to maximise the space.

Timeforachangetoday Thu 07-May-15 06:25:02

Kitchen into utillity (and possible downstairs toilet) kitchen diner in extension, old dining room into playroom

Timetodrive Thu 07-May-15 10:25:55

My last house was very similar, cost wise the cheapest option was the extension across the back with a U shaped open plan feel. We reinstated wall between lounge and dining room. The old kitchen led to a dining area with the rest of the extension and old dining room a family room leaving front room free of toys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now