Talk

Advanced search

New Fitted Wardrobes?

(10 Posts)
EEvans Sun 19-Apr-15 14:20:56

Hi all,

We've just moved into a new house and there is a wall of fitted wardrobes in the two biggest bedrooms. In terms of storage I would like to keep them but on the inside they are unbelievably tatty and really badly designed (almost all hanging space, no draw space etc).

I'd like to replace them but don't really know where to start.

I know I really don't want to DIY it myself, so the IKEA range is out really.

Had any one recently had a company come and replace their fitted wardrobes and would recommend them in terms of good value and good design.

Ideally don't want to spend an absolute fortune with a baby due in October and a manky bathroom to do as well!

Thanks in advance

Newhere2 Sun 19-Apr-15 20:31:44

bumping for you as I want to know thoughts too.

Mrscog Sun 19-Apr-15 20:36:21

Are you sure you can't get someone to build IKEA ones for you? We had Pax in our old house and the quality was very good, they were cheap(ish) - £500 for 3 doubles with huge mirror doors, drawers etc. I can understand not wanting to do all the assembly yourself, but I imagine buying IKEA then getting a handy person in to fit them might be one of your best options.

EEvans Sun 19-Apr-15 21:31:43

Thanks for the bump Newhere2!

And Mrscog, stupidly I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for suggesting that!

Do you know if IKEA do fairly traditional looking doors? I don't want a very "modern" shiny kinda look - more a painted wood finish - if that makes sense?

Any one had IKEA fitted wardrobes recently that can share any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

KondoAttitude Mon 20-Apr-15 09:46:10

We have non-Ikea fitted wardrobes with Ikea interiors. Cheaper than buying fully fitted wardrobes, but looks nicer than full Ikea. If you like the outside of your existing wardrobes but not the insides then that might be an option for you.

Newhere2 Mon 20-Apr-15 11:10:50

Kondo that sounds like a great idea! I hadn't thought of that.

Mrscog can you make these the height of the room?

Hobbes8 Mon 20-Apr-15 12:59:30

I'd try and get a quote from a local carpenter/joiner. They'll have some good ideas and it might be cheaper than you think.

DianeBlack Wed 20-May-15 12:33:46

I can recommend www.paolomarchetti.com/bespoke-fitted-wardrobes/corner-wardrobes/ I bought my wardrobe there, comparatively to Ikea it's much more better.

Littlechickensmummy Wed 20-May-15 21:44:02

We used Draks, they were great. They supply Berkeley Homes, and you can view their wardrobes in their show flats. They came and measured, and have a designer (although we knew what we wanted, we built a run of wardrobes with traditional doors and some sliding doors to subdivide a room). Fitter was really good too. Not many people have heard of them, but can highly recommend. The only problem might be if you want a traditional finish, as we had mahogany and frosted glass.

weasle Wed 20-May-15 21:57:01

I bought ikea Pax wardrobes and paid a handyman to put up. They are fantastic, interiors so versatile. They also have lights that come on when the doors are opened. I feel glamorous just opening the doors!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now