Talk

Advanced search

Bamboo kitchen worktop?

(13 Posts)
MothershipG Fri 03-Apr-15 07:20:20

Redoing the kitchen, can't afford granite/Quartz/corian etc. but I'm struggling to find a lamininate I like.

I like wood but dislike how much care and upkeep it requires. Has anyone got a bamboo worktop? Is it any more resilient? Or just as sensitive as wood?

melomal Fri 03-Apr-15 08:28:34

Bamboo is far more hard wearing and perfect for a busy household, it can take a little more of a beating that an oak worktop could and it'll still look great.

Obviously you can't take naked flames to the bamboo or leave wine on the surface for hours on end but it doesn't need as much maintenance or care (thanks to the characteristics of the wood itself).

MothershipG Fri 03-Apr-15 08:34:20

Thanks Melomal! Can I take it that you speak from experience? If so may I ask where you got your bamboo?

SquinkiesRule Fri 03-Apr-15 09:09:29

Ds and I were wandering around Wickes while Dh picked stuff up and both of us really like the Bamboo tops, it was done so you could see all the ends on the side of the worktop if that makes any sense.

TalkinPeace Fri 03-Apr-15 11:16:56

Picture of mine on my profile
its 6 years old now
I abuse it horribly and its still wonderful.

BettyBoblin Fri 03-Apr-15 12:23:09

I had a bamboo worktop in my old house and would definitely have one again. I took reasonable care of it- didn't leave spillages for ages, oiled it every few months etc... and it looked lovely.The kitchen fitter hated it though as he said it was difficult to work with.

MothershipG Fri 03-Apr-15 18:18:23

Thanks Talkin, especially for the picture, it does look good. Have you been good about oiling it, even though you abuse it? I don't suppose you remember where you got it? smile

TalkinPeace Fri 03-Apr-15 18:35:07

Am I good about oiling it : absolutely not.
I wipe it down with a J cloth every day and smear olive oil into the bit around the sink once a week

It got its first ever sand and linseed treatment this January - 5 1/2 years after installation.

Where did I get it ?
A company called Bamboo Direct who no longer exist : but the worktops are the same as these
www.hardwoodfloorstore.co.uk/worktops/bamboo_natural_worktops.htm

The chippy who fitted the kitchen did all the cutting to size - we have all the leftovers as shelves elsewhere.
The island is in fact two pieces back to back - but being bamboo it looks the same in all directions. The seam down the middle has never shown because there is so much grain on the bamboo.

lagartaroja Fri 03-Apr-15 18:41:31

We have bamboo as well and I second what everyone says. It really is great! We got ours in International Design Surfaces in Fife... Which may or may not be useful!

MothershipG Fri 03-Apr-15 21:12:34

Thanks all, that's really helpful, except the place in Fife, that's just too far! wink

lagartaroja Fri 03-Apr-15 21:22:15

Ah well. Worth a punt! smile I just remembered that the make/brand of worktop is 'Tuscan', in case that's any use.

MothershipG Fri 03-Apr-15 21:50:30

Thanks lagar that gives me something to google smile

talkiinpeace Sat 05-Dec-15 18:19:56

Shameless bump on a thread from the spring as I was asked about my bamboo worktops ....

Picture of when it was first installed 6 years ago
and a close up of part of it taken a month or so ago

in that time it has been sanded and oiled ONCE - about a year ago
it is wiped down with a damp cloth multiple times a day
and wiped with olive oil once a week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now