Talk

Advanced search

Glass or acrylic splashback

(8 Posts)
CoupdeFoudre Fri 20-Mar-15 09:32:04

We are about to pay the deposit for a glass splash back (full length of kitchen), but our worktop fitter has offered to quote for acrylic. Apart from the obvious price difference, which one would you go for? Acrylic appeals because of fewer joins! But dh reckons it will mark and scratch. The glass we are going for is pre-painted.

engeika Fri 20-Mar-15 11:31:16

Haven't seen acrylic but suspect it won't last as well as glass. Love the look and feel of glass - beautiful.

RachelHRD Fri 20-Mar-15 21:46:15

We have just installed acrylic panels in our kitchen and love them. They look amazing and are so easy to install - precut by the supplier. We also replaced our stainless steel hob splashback with a glass panel with wallpaper behind which also looks fab. Total cost about £400 and we installed ourselves.
Would recommend www.acrylic-splashbacks.com as they have a good range of colours and cut to size and supply quickly.
I'll stick.a few pics on my profile so you can see what they look like.

PigletJohn Fri 20-Mar-15 21:53:06

Acrylic will go dull with fine scratches. It is more noticable if clear. Think of a glass that has repeatedly been through a dishwasher. Even a nylon brush or green scourer (which you will probably need to clean off hardened gravy and grease splashes) will dull it.

PigletJohn Fri 20-Mar-15 21:57:23

(sorry)

CoupdeFoudre Fri 20-Mar-15 21:58:20

Thanks for the photo offer, but on reflection [boom] we're going to go glass grin

Marcelle79 Thu 30-Jul-15 09:58:46

Actually Acrylic doesn't dull at all over time with scratches, I bought mine from the same company above (acrylic-splashbacks.com) and it still looks as good as the day I bought it (4 years ago).

My idiot husband once used a wire wool sponge to clean it and scratched it badly, I contacted them and they advised me to use T-Cut and low and behold all the scratches disappeared!! (It also made it super super glossy!!!) ;D

I actually had glass splashback before but once I was upstairs and heard a massive bang (followed by my cat bolting up the stairs!). I went downstairs and the floor was covered with GLASS. For some reason the panel had exploded??? I am just glad my young niece wasn't in the room at the time. NEVER AGAIN will I get glass!

Hope this helps!!

Marmitelover55 Fri 31-Jul-15 14:18:53

We have got glass and I think it's beautiful - the colour is so bright smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now