Talk

Advanced search

Do we move?

(15 Posts)
Cakemum123 Wed 18-Feb-15 07:11:42

Please help. Currently live in 4 bed detached house in lovely market town, but bits of house we don't like. Dc due to start grammar school in another market town 10 mins away which isn't as nice, although still ok.Can afford a gorgeous 5 bed new build in that town which would cost same as extending current home. Worried about moving to new place and new build etc. builders have offered to buy our house so all seems hassle free but sill anxious and don't know whether to go for it or not. Any advice please?

Lagoonablue Wed 18-Feb-15 07:16:27

Do a costs/ benefits analysis. What comes out top?

Cakemum123 Wed 18-Feb-15 08:10:03

Cost wise, slightly more to move but builder paying stamp duty. If we extend will still be 4 bed and will make garden small but current house in quiet cul de sac. New house will have an extra bed, extra bath and a study. No idea what to do.

IdespairIreallydo Wed 18-Feb-15 09:10:29

Do you need the extra space or has the new home just seduced you - they are good at that? New houses are built very close to one another - think about neighbours.

Two of my mantra's -

You can change a house but you can't change where it is

and, of course, location, location, location.

So, where do you want to be rather than what do you want to be in ?

Think about future needs for you and your family - access to work, FE, family, etc

If you are in the right spot the rest will follow.

Cakemum123 Wed 18-Feb-15 10:03:41

To be honest, yes we do. Have 3dc all of whom will eventually be at school in that town so think would also be better for them to be close to friends etc as from whee we are no they will need to catch a bus for school and to see new friends once at grammar school. Also have no where to up ageing parents at current house as they are now struggling to drive to ours and back in a day. If we extend will on,y be extending to make bigger kitchen and dining area rather than gaining extra bedroom, study, hallway etc. We live the new house and if was where we are now we wouldn't hesitate at all to buy it. Am so scared of making wrong decision as current house a lot to give up but doesn't satisfy all our needs, but then I think are we being greedy?..

Boofy27 Wed 18-Feb-15 13:45:43

Check the overall floor area in both houses. New builds often have extra rooms while having a smaller footprint and there is no point in having a study that ends up being a dumping ground because you don't have space to store your stuff.

Moving into a new build tends to be much more expensive than people imagine. You think that you're paying extra for a beautifully finished house that's all done but it's not always the case. Check that the builder/developer is going to install flooring, turf the garden, install burglar alarm etc. and expect some teething problems. A professional snagged is money well spent.

Have a look at some local second hand houses, they are usually better value for money per square meter, you can spend any money you save on getting the 'new build finish', if that's what you want.

I'd go for the less nice town with better access to school, particularly if it's within walking distance, otherwise you will spend so much time driving everyone about but that's quite a personal choice.

Cakemum123 Wed 18-Feb-15 14:48:04

Thanks that is helpful. Have to decide by tomorrow!

noddyholder Wed 18-Feb-15 14:50:49

Being near kids mates and school etc in teen years is very easy I found friends who didn't live as close were forever ferrying around or arguing about it!

Boofy27 Wed 18-Feb-15 16:02:52

You probably don't really have to decide tomorrow, developers like to put a bit of pressure on but are usually realistic about not letting a proceed-able buyer get away. Before you do make any decision, have a few local estate agents value your home and make sure you are swapping for something of a similar (ish) value, there will need to be a bit of profit in the place for the developer but you need to be sure that you are still getting reasonable value for money.

Have a long list of things that you would like the developer to do in your new house perhaps boarding out the loft or even making it into a habitable space, shed, bike store, washing line, your choice of paint colours etc. Any improvements done at this stage are much more cost effective and less trouble than trying to do them after you move in with three DCs. It's also an acceptable way to move the builders profit margins from outrageous to reasonable.

Pinkje Wed 18-Feb-15 17:32:15

Do you want to post a link to the new development so we can pick it apart wink

Cakemum123 Wed 18-Feb-15 18:07:40

Wow some good tips thanks will try and decide what to do for the best

loopylucylou Wed 18-Feb-15 18:36:37

I'm thinking of buying a new build too and had thought that obviously they are smaller. BUT. Do check. I looked up an old three bed yesterday vs a new two bed and the two bed has more square metres.

The only thing putting me off a new build right now is all the stuff saying you shouldn't put wallpaper up for over a year in case of settlement cracks!!!! What?!? Part of the appeal of a new build was making your mark easily!

Anyway, I might not have a choice as I'm probably going to have to go for an affordable home option and it's mainly new builds

Good luck.

loopylucylou Wed 18-Feb-15 18:40:40

Just done another check of half a dozen two bed flats near me and they're coming out as 53-61 sq m compared to 74 for new build.

SpecificOcean Wed 18-Feb-15 19:08:47

I think you can misjudge an area.
When we started looking in this area we thought it wasn't quite as nice as the area we were in, but wanted to live here as the houses are so much bigger for not much more money and closer to school and my job.

However before we took the plunge to buy, after a few visits, both in the car and walking around we really started warming to the place and it wasn't long before we started to much prefer it to the old area and now a few years on we really love it here. And the neighbours are so much nicer.

LondonGirl83 Wed 18-Feb-15 19:36:48

If you need the space and its more convenient then I can see why you'd move. Is there really nowhere in your current house your parents can sleep? How often do they come over? Could you perhaps have your two youngest share when your parents occasionally visit. I had to do this growing up and really, unless its very frequent, its not that big a deal.

Also, grammar schools tend to have pretty wide catchments. There isn't really much guarantee that their friends will live close to the school. I mean you got in and you don't live in the other town. Are there good public transport links between your current area and the other town? If so, that might suffice so you aren't a taxi service for your kids.

Lastly, could a granny annex in your garden provide extra space for visitors? Its usually less expensive than an extension and if you really prefer your area, might be the right compromise.

I'm not really a fan of big houses-- more space to heat, clean, maintain and it usually doesn't enhance people's quality of life they way they expect it will. I grew up in a massive house and we barely used two of the reception rooms and had a guest room that was usually empty.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: