Talk

Advanced search

pied a terre like a studio flat opposite clapham common station which isn't...

(30 Posts)
NoGinThanks Tue 17-Feb-15 14:32:27

Right. SIL has a studio flat a stone's throw from clapham common station in London where she lives in the week. Main house is in Devon on the line from Paddington.

Since having DN she's finding it too small (just a room really, v sweet but no room to swing a cat), and too noisy for her being on the 'main drag', traffic noise keeps her up etc.

She likes being very close to the tube and other public transport, likes villagey feel/naice shops, likes proximity to central London and trains from c junction, lots of cabs etc, likes the nightlife and not feeling out of place as a woman on her own if she goes out.

Where should she look for a one-bed around the 220k mark? I suggested Brixton but that's too rough, and Dulwich too boring/not on tube apparently!

AnotherEpisode Tue 17-Feb-15 15:12:57

No chance of a one bed in Zone 3 at that price! I hate to break it to you/her but if she finds Brixton rough she has no chance of being anywhere more 'desirable' within her price bracket. May need to change your ideas and what is 'acceptable' to you alongside the money you actually have!

MonkeySeeMonkeyDooo Tue 17-Feb-15 15:21:20

You won't find much for that price. And definitely not in clapham. Nice villagey areas are expensive.

A quick look on rightmove only comes up with norbury or mitcham or Roehampton.

I love clapham but we had to move further out to buy.

NoGinThanks Tue 17-Feb-15 15:29:18

yes I thought it was a bit unlikely. Maybe if she looked east? She seems very set on clapham common area though she did say she liked Notting Hill I don't know that area at all.

Though perhaps she'll get a lot more than she thinks she will for her studio.

WhatsGoingOnEh Tue 17-Feb-15 15:32:18

Why doesn't she look nearer Paddington? Like... Oh, you know, those areas near Paddington. blush That'd be handier for her long trip home. And some places round there are villagey and not prohibitively pricey.

She'll get a good price for her Clapham crash pad, I expect.

NoGinThanks Tue 17-Feb-15 15:34:20

I honestly don't know, I asked her that and she said it wasn't nice around there but I know next to nothing about any part of London outside of a very small sliver of SW.

I think what she really wants is the same flat but bigger and on a quieter road but for the same money!

MonkeySeeMonkeyDooo Tue 17-Feb-15 15:47:48

Has she got her studio valued or is she just guessing?

NoGinThanks Tue 17-Feb-15 16:10:59

She had it valued, didn't tell me exactly what the valuation was but having had a look on rightmove I suspect something will have to give!

I've sent her a link to this www.foxtons.co.uk/search?bedrooms_to=1&location_ids=983&property_id=904194&search_form=map&search_type=SS&sold=1&submit_type=search

loopylucylou Tue 17-Feb-15 16:14:27

Brixton rough?! Ha ha. Not any more smile

loopylucylou Tue 17-Feb-15 16:15:03

Brixton rough?! Ha ha. Not any more smile

NoGinThanks Tue 17-Feb-15 16:15:57

Yeah, and I think Dulwich (well, certain parts of it), has loads going on. But she doesn't really get to other bits of London which makes sense I suppose, she's not got the time/opportunity to visit.

MonkeySeeMonkeyDooo Tue 17-Feb-15 16:41:09

There are no studio flats on for £220k, only £285k and above. How long ago did she have it valued?

NoGinThanks Tue 17-Feb-15 16:47:52

Yesterday! It is seriously seriously tiny, in fact I had a nose around and there is an almost identical flat on for 249k v close to her so I would guess the valuation came in around there.

NoGinThanks Tue 17-Feb-15 16:52:14

and since I found the listing about an hour ago it's gone under offer for 239! Wow! Guess she'll have no problem selling if she can find an area she likes.

(here if anyone else is as nosy as me www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40297993.html)

TakingTheStairs Tue 17-Feb-15 16:52:18

Would she qualify for shared ownership?
Earlsfield, one stop further out than clapham
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33612891.html

Or 250k in Wandsworth
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49329668.html

MonkeySeeMonkeyDooo Tue 17-Feb-15 16:54:32

That link isn't working for me OP.

MonkeySeeMonkeyDooo Tue 17-Feb-15 16:56:33

Sorted it. Wow that's tiny!

NoGinThanks Tue 17-Feb-15 16:57:24

let me try again www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40297993.html

I don't think she'd qualify for SA. She's after somewhere like Clapham Common which is cheaper, great transport/nightlife/etc etc. Moon on a stick basically smile

Pinkwillow Tue 17-Feb-15 17:07:08

Blimey,already under offer! I thought of Wandsworth too.

TakingTheStairs Tue 17-Feb-15 17:40:37

I think your SIL might be in for a hard dose of reality!

MonkeySeeMonkeyDooo Tue 17-Feb-15 17:44:37

We'd all like that OP!

grumbleina Tue 17-Feb-15 18:52:34

Ha, no chance! Brixton would maybe be possible, but yes, if she finds Brixton rough she's really going to struggle, and I think she's going to need to look at areas she hadn't thought of.

Crossrail is coming which will go through Paddington, and it might be worth looking at stations along there.

Try Eailing and Acton, maybe? Looking at it, it's still pricey but there are cafs and things there, lots of people priced out of chiswick/hammersmith which are quite clapham-like, and the occasional things like this or this.

TheHobbit Tue 17-Feb-15 18:58:16

What about this one. It looks really nice and is right by the tube for her budget

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31439115.html

NoGinThanks Tue 17-Feb-15 19:03:29

Knowing her she'd be shock at anything outside zone 2! I think she's going to have to stay where she is or change her expectations. Thanks all.

NoGinThanks Tue 17-Feb-15 19:09:37

(Acton looks really good though)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: