Talk

Advanced search

Bedroom dilemma, help me decide.

(14 Posts)
Pipbin Mon 16-Feb-15 20:37:42

We have a standard 1930s bay fronted three bed semi.
We don't have, and never will have DC. (I can't)
Therefore we have three bedrooms and just us. We recently started to decorate the front bedroom, and moved into the smaller back bedroom.
Now we can't decide which room to use.

The front bedroom is bigger, and has the bay but is on the (quiet) road and has a little more noise from nextdoor.

The back bedroom is smaller but overlooks the garden and the woodland beyond that. Less noise from nextdoor.
Nextdoor are fairly quiet but the have a tv on the wall in the front bedroom.

So, help me to decide please.

wowfudge Mon 16-Feb-15 21:08:43

We had the same choice when we moved into our 1930s semi. We used the back bedroom first because it had carpet. We now use the slightly larger front bedroom because the alcoves are bigger than those in the back bedroom by enough to mean we could fit an IKEA Pax corner combination wardrobe in and a dressing table in the bay.

earlyriser Mon 16-Feb-15 21:13:03

Could you use the front bedroom as a dressing room and sleep in the back room? then you could move your wardrobe etc out giving you a bit more room.

Pipbin Mon 16-Feb-15 21:15:08

They both have built in wardrobes and the furniture would fit into both rooms.

Front bedroom is 14'1 x 12'2 and the back bedroom is 12'9 x 10'7.
The back bedroom faces due south.

I am seriously thinking about using both rooms. Front bedroom for the week and back for the weekend when we can enjoy the view while sitting in bed.

MrsLettuce Mon 16-Feb-15 21:22:26

yy, to both! I love a back bedroom in any case but the view would tip it for me, even with it being a bit smaller.

The option of a cool, north facing bedroom in summer is lovely.

Onecurrantbun Mon 16-Feb-15 21:23:37

I'd sleep in the front bedroom and have the back one set up as a sitting room. You can always have a good-quality sofa bed if you're likely to have visitors, but I'd have it with easy chairs, bookcase, coffee maker and biscuit tin. When finances allow a Juliet balcony?!

I've earmarked our back bedroom ( which incidentally faces due south and overlooks our lovely garden and woodland) for this when DCs leave home, but as a bedroom I like the front bedroom as its bigger.

If you did go down the dressing room/bedroom idea certainly the back bedroom should be the dressing room as you'd not be overlooked so wouldn't have to close curtains etc to dress

Pipbin Mon 16-Feb-15 21:30:59

One we had the back bedroom as a sitting room but just didn't use it for that. We have bought a new bed and are are relegating the old one to the spare room for guests (and us)

BrockAuLit Mon 16-Feb-15 21:39:16

I'd knock through a large archway and make a huge bedroom suite, 3rd bedroom as an office.

Oooh. The space!

yomellamoHelly Mon 16-Feb-15 21:41:14

We started off in the bigger front room (south facing). Ended up in the back. Would go for the quieter room (as we did) if size not an issue.

minipie Mon 16-Feb-15 21:41:14

Where is the third bedroom? next to the front bedroom or next to the back? and where is the bathroom? Basically I'm wondering if you can turn the third bedroom into an en suite or dressing room for the back room so as to make up for it being smaller.

We have the back bedroom in our house despite it being smaller, due to wanting quiet and overlooking s facing garden. Long term I plan to turn one of the other two rooms into an ensuite/dressing room.

Pipbin Mon 16-Feb-15 23:55:50

The smaller room will be DH's 'office'.
I don't really fancy knocking through because we do want to use one of the bedrooms as a guest room.

I think I might wait until we've decorated the front bedroom and moved back in there so I can compare.

steppeinginto2015 Tue 17-Feb-15 00:05:52

Our bedroom is at the back. With view over the school field behind and lots of trees.

I really love not being in the front. It is quiet and private and every morning I open my curtains and look out at my view and smile.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Tue 17-Feb-15 03:57:16

Slightly different for us as we have a single room depth house for the most part, with all bedroom windows overlooking the rear garden - but wanted to say that when we bought the house last year we decided not to use the master bedroom as our bedroom but instead we're using a much smaller second floor room.

Our main reason being that the intended (significantly larger) master makes a really good sitting room with its bay window seat overlooking our wooded garden and views beyond. It's where we have our tv and where I read whilst DH is in his study next door.

I think you should do whatever you're happiest with - and if that means alternating at weekends or whatever, then so be it!

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Tue 17-Feb-15 03:59:52

Meant to add, we find sleeping in the smaller bedroom much cosier too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: