Talk

Advanced search

Come and talk to me about boiling water taps...

(33 Posts)
orangina Sun 15-Feb-15 10:09:18

That's it really. Ideally I would like one tap that does it all (hot, cold, boiling) from the point of view of kitchen aesthetics, but I am worried about turning on the boiling bit by mistake, burns etc.

DH saw a Quooker at a friends house and hated it. I was eyeing up the one by Insinkerator, will post link below....

So, who has one, which one, and do you recommend it?

Many thanks!

orangina Sun 15-Feb-15 10:11:10

this is the insinkerator all in one I like the look of. DH nervous though.

Mrsladybirdface Sun 15-Feb-15 10:24:59

we have a Franke Minerva which is a 3 in 1.. it is IMPOSSIBLE to turn on the boiling part by mistake and is safer than a kettle IMO.
there are no environmental benefits (as many will post on heregrin ) but is a luxury item... one which I love. kettles are a PITA to me now!

my one was quite spitty for the first few months but has settled down now.

specialsubject Sun 15-Feb-15 11:48:44

'quite spitty'

???????

and you are supposed to put up with this at home? (Used to have one in an office where I was the first-aider, one scald a day)

Spickle Sun 15-Feb-15 11:54:16

There's one at our local village hall - also quite "spitty". My other half loves all things gadgety and would have loved one of these, but having been scalded by the village hall tap several times, he's changed his mind.

orangina Sun 15-Feb-15 12:41:50

Mrsladybirdface.... what do you think made your tap become less spitty?

It was the spitty aspect of the Quooker that DH saw at a friends house that he hated.

brumeye Sun 15-Feb-15 13:22:09

I did think it funny that on the quooker website, they try to pass off the spittyness as a "safety feature" (spray instead of stream = less water to scald you). Ha!

However much anyone tells me it's impossible to turn on by mistake, I just don't trust the things so will be keeping my trusty kettle in our new kitchen.

Methe Sun 15-Feb-15 13:30:45

We've got zip taps at work and they are amazing.. I've just looked at the price though shock

Methe Sun 15-Feb-15 13:33:17

this one

Fucking hell

shock

No spittyness though (I should bloody think so too!)

specialsubject Sun 15-Feb-15 13:40:52

they spit near-boiling water???

and you pay extra for this feature???

Pagwatch Sun 15-Feb-15 13:43:46

Nope. They don't spit.

My Quooker is awesome. Love it

And it is impossible to just turn on by mistake. Unless you are really fucking weird.

orangina Sun 15-Feb-15 14:37:43

I am not sure our budget has got space for the boiling water tap. Think it might end up on the (rather long) reserve list.....

orangina Sun 15-Feb-15 14:38:14

Thank you all for your input!

sparkleyes Sun 15-Feb-15 14:40:54

We got quooker twin taps so one either side and I was sceptical about the point of a boiling water tap but I love it! It really is the most time saving fabulous thing in my kitchen!

LucyPie Sun 15-Feb-15 16:54:22

I am currently 'roadtesting' a new boiling water tap from a UK company after seeing a post on Netmums asking for people to try and give feedback before they officially launch.
I had always fancied the idea of one but the price put me off ............ however having now tried one for free I am definitely hooked. I'm not sure I can mention the company but from what they have said they are aiming for a more manageable price. Hopefully as more competitors enter the market, the price will come down so if you are not in any rush I would hang fire for newer taps to hit the market.
I've been really impressed so far and used it lots more than I ever imagined. I haven't noticed any spittiness. It doesn't come out like a normal tap but with a hiss and steam so maybe I'm just being extra careful as I get used to it.
We are almost at kitchen ordering stage and have already altered our design to make sure we can accommodate one.
The safety aspect is very important as we have 3 year old twins but I think that will also be an advantage - before they can actually reach the taps, they will know not to even touch it.

Arsenic Sun 15-Feb-15 16:58:25

Chilled and boiling from the same tap? Dangerous witchcraft.

Mrsladybirdface Sun 15-Feb-15 18:54:09

not spitty enough to scald. just like a large coffee machine. not sure why it did but had read it does and settles down.

I think unless you have experience on the actual tap I'm talking about you can't rubbish it's awesomeness!

Lelivre Sun 15-Feb-15 19:06:00

Lucypie - I think I am testing the same tap as you, except not via netmums but it's about to go into production etc.

I like it even more than I expected to and I was dying to get one! I am surprised at how often I am reaching to use it. I am such an impatient soul it altogether suits me. I am also planning a new kitchen and would not want to do without it.

I have doubts about the safety. It has a catch to slide up before turning but I do not know that it would foil my curious two year old. That's my only doubt about it.

OP - Get one!

Arsenic Sun 15-Feb-15 19:08:36

It has a catch to slide up before turning but I do not know that it would foil my curious two year old. That's my only doubt about it.

Isn't that quite a major doubt?

Chchchchanging Sun 15-Feb-15 19:10:33

Marking place; for those who are testing the mystery tap- any idea on eta, I love sound of more affordable one xx

Chchchchanging Sun 15-Feb-15 19:11:08

Marking place; for those who are testing the mystery tap- any idea on eta, I love sound of more affordable one xx

LucyPie Sun 15-Feb-15 19:47:47

Chchchchanging - I don't know what their launch plans are but imagine it will be within months (unless the feedback they receive changes anything drastically).

Those who have taps already - any advice on positioning for ease of use? I must admit I prefer the idea of the boiling tap being separate from the standard taps. We need to decide before worktop gets fitted - can't afford to get it wrong and regret it. Hope any answers will help the OP too.

Pagwatch Sun 15-Feb-15 19:55:42

Mine require quite a decided effort - to push down and turn as one would a bottle of medicine.
I wouldn't have got one if I though it could be undone by a curious toddler. I'm not sure why anyone would.

Lelivre Sun 15-Feb-15 20:01:13

Arsenic - yes but...due to the safety catch, arguably less of a risk than a kettle/pan on the stove.

Anyhow the kettle has been retired to the garage.

Lelivre Sun 15-Feb-15 20:03:15

Pagwatch - yeah same idea with this one I am testing, doesn't require as much force though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: