Talk

Advanced search

Peeling paint on newly decorated radiator

(6 Posts)
AliceInChains Sat 14-Feb-15 12:55:04

Any advice please! A few weeks ago I painted DD's radiator with Dulux Quick Drying Satinwood (which says it's suitable for radiators), but now - especially when the radiator is on - it scrapes off with little pressure.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I need to remove it (and how?!) or can I just paint over it with a radiator paint to seal it in?

wowfudge Sat 14-Feb-15 13:19:09

How many coats did you give it and was the radiator off when you painted it and until the paint was dry?

AliceInChains Sat 14-Feb-15 17:41:53

I gave it two coats. And I think it was off while it dried, although picking winter for decorating was perhaps a bad idea.

Lagoonablue Sat 14-Feb-15 20:40:52

Did you sand it a bit to give something for the paint to lock on to? Then you would have needed a flat coat of undercoat, followed by the Top coat. My would have used oil based egg shell or metal paint tbh. Satinwood is for wood.

wowfudge Sun 15-Feb-15 00:43:24

Lagoona - satinwood is perfectly fine for radiators. I have successfully used it myself several times.

OP I would switch the radiator off and give the paint a very light sand and wipe down. Then give it another coat and wait at least 24 hours before turning it back on for the paint to completely dry. I'm guessing that the paint flaking is due to its quick drying formula and the rad getting hot before the paint had completely dried.

AliceInChains Sun 15-Feb-15 10:40:53

Thanks wowfudge, I suspect you're right. Trying to do things too quickly as usual!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: