Talk

Advanced search

Inspire Me! Doing the bedroom from scratch.

(13 Posts)
BeautyintheBedroom Fri 13-Feb-15 14:39:46

We need new bedroom furniture and a new bed. I have such a blank slate I am floundering. Tried pinterest and google images and Houzz and getting overwhelmed as have nothing to inspire me. Everything looks "nice". Not much is making me pun. Maybe the odd monochrome thing but think that is because that is what I have at the moment.

I have/am stuck with as a base:
A reasonable sized bedroom 14x15 foot-ish.
White walls.
Stripped original pine floors.
A large round bay window with a
Black cast-iron curtain pole & black cast iron door knobs on a 1930s door.
South facing and sunny.

I am looking for
A sanctuary - calm and -? possibly pretty?
I need a bed I can hoover under and wooden or metail (DH has severe dust allergy)

So nearly, nearly a blank slate. Where do I start? I need curtains. Or a bed? Or a lampshade or something to start me off. Can you help please - I am so totally rubbish at this.

BeautyintheBedroom Fri 13-Feb-15 14:40:01

*metal

wowfudge Fri 13-Feb-15 15:11:09

How about a black cast iron bed frame? Google it and see what comes up them take it from there.

wowfudge Fri 13-Feb-15 15:11:22

then

BeautyintheBedroom Fri 13-Feb-15 22:14:57

Think that has helped me decide I don't want a black cast iron bed grin. Am continuing to search and pin but not feeling the love for anything yet. Am getting a slight crush for maybe white painted furniture...but my whole vision is just a bit...well non-existent really....

FiddleDeDiddleDeDoo Fri 13-Feb-15 22:21:00

With original pine stripped floors, if you are going painted wooden, I think it needs to be a little bit shabby and not too glossy. I do think a cast iron frame would probably be best though, or at least black metal?

FiddleDeDiddleDeDoo Fri 13-Feb-15 22:24:01

theswenglishhome.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2011-01-13T23:33:00Z&max-results=35

Not sure if this link works?

FiddleDeDiddleDeDoo Fri 13-Feb-15 22:24:59

Oh it worked! Get me! I think you need this kind of painted furniture. Looks good with cast iron as well.

BeautyintheBedroom Fri 13-Feb-15 22:31:51

I agree shabby. Not quite this but similar.

Mrsteddyruxpin Fri 13-Feb-15 22:35:13

www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/dorma-blue-toile-bedlinen-collection-214618

This is the type of look I love, fresh, clean and a little pretty

Also lots of other 'looks' on dunhelm site. Then I would upcycle some furniture - dunhelm shutter mirror is beautiful. You could White wash a wicker chair too.

BeautyintheBedroom Fri 13-Feb-15 22:46:15

ooo Just found this image on the JL website. Like this.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 13-Feb-15 22:49:31

You don't specify a budget, but Scumble Goosie make Swedish-style furniture, in mango wood, or you can have them primed/painted.

BeautyintheBedroom Sun 15-Feb-15 19:26:04

A bit pricy tbh - would rather spend the budget for the bed on a great mattress rather than that much on the base.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: