Talk

Advanced search

Extractor fans in kitchen

(14 Posts)
christinarossetti Thu 12-Feb-15 20:20:09

What do we think about them?

We had one in our previous house and again in this one but never used them. I usually open the window if steaming something and rarely fry.

Do they reduce cleaning and smells? We don't eat meat, so maybe that's why our kitchen doesn't get sticky and smelly?

All thoughts welcome!

SunflowerLV Thu 12-Feb-15 21:49:26

Watching.

I had someone recommend that I fit an extractor fan in my kitchen. He was trying to sell extractor fans so keen to hear your experiences instead.

PigletJohn Thu 12-Feb-15 22:13:14

An extracting cooker hood captures most steam and cooking smells at source, so there will be less greasy dirt in the air and on top of your units.

An extractor on the wall has to be about three times as powerful as a hood over the hob.

Unlike a window, wind will not blow through an extractor into your kitchen, forcing the fumes to spread around your house, and it creates enough suction, if the kitchen door is closed, to prevent diffusion.

Recirculating hoods are also available. They make an attractive kitchen ornament but serve no useful purpose.

AnnieMorel Thu 12-Feb-15 22:16:35

We have a really efficient extractor in our new kitchen and it works really well.

I agree with PJ, recirculating hoods are pointless, which is why they are not accepted by building control.

christinarossetti Thu 12-Feb-15 23:10:45

Thanks. Could someone recommend one please?

TIA

PigletJohn Thu 12-Feb-15 23:15:41

wall fan or hood?

SunflowerLV Fri 13-Feb-15 00:02:54

I will have a very good extractor fan above the cooker but the guy was recommending an extractor fan on the wall in addition to this.

PigletJohn - do you think this is unnecessary? The ground floor is open plan. So kitchen is in the same room as living and dining room.

On the subject of extractor fans, what are your thoughts about continuous running humidity sensor ones or just the humidity sensor ones on a timer?

Which supplier is best; Vent Axia, Envirovent, Xpelair etc. I am looking for a quiet but efficient one and good quality.

christinarossetti Fri 13-Feb-15 09:22:46

Eithe or both please, as the hob will be along a wall.

Does an extractor fan need to be fitting on an external wall btw?

T so much IA

HahaHarrie Fri 13-Feb-15 09:41:28

I'm reading this with interest...

PigletJohn Fri 13-Feb-15 11:11:21

For extractor fans, I mostly look at ducted ones, and VentAxia seem noticeably more reliable than Xpelair.

For a cooker hood, I doubt there is a lot of difference except in price. Elica seem quite good. The "integrated" ones that have a fold out door-covered flap are very expensive, and IME people are reluctant to pull the flap out, so they don't get used much. Some prestige brands are very expensive.

If you are having a wall fan, get a large one and mount it high up near the ceiling. My DM has a 12" one which runs very quietly (small fans are noisier and shift less air) so it can be left on all day at low speed if you want. Electricity usage of a fan is insignificant.

Large wall fans are not widely sold. Always look at the extract rate of a fan or hood, and the noise level in dbs. For example a cheap weedy builders toilet fan might extract a nominal 80 cubic metres an hour, which is very little. A powerful ducted bathroom extractor might shift 240 cu.m/hr. This 12 inch fan can extract more than a thousand and is probably more than you need. I am sure you need at least a six-inch, with a high/low speed controller. Examples

If you are open plan it is especially important to have an extracting hood so it can catch the steam and fumes before they drift round the house. Turn it on before you start cooking, not after.

I would not bother with a humidity sensor. Fried onions or grilled kippers will not start it.

PigletJohn Fri 13-Feb-15 11:27:48

I believe these are the current Bulding Regulations minimum extract rates (although, IME, the bathroom/toilet rates are much lower than I would want)

Toilet /Sanitary accommodation – 6 l/sec (22m3/hr)
Bathroom/Shower Room – 15 l/sec (54 m3/hr)
Kitchen with cooker hood – 30 l/sec (108 m3/hr)
Kitchen without cooker hood – 60 l/sec (216 m3/hr)
Utility Room – 30 l/sec (108 m3/hr)

christinarossetti Fri 13-Feb-15 11:29:52

Thank, PJ.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 14-Feb-15 09:40:02

The key thing with any extractor is to start the extractor the same time as you start the hob - so that the vapours start to go out as soon as they start - not just when the air is thick with smoke/ steam / aromas -if you can get into the habit of switching it on every time, you will see the benefit - also if you open a window when you have the extractor on it doesn't actually help ! Either it - not both !
Ceiling extractors seem to be increasingly popular at the moment - just be careful when you want to clean them ! Use a step ladder with someone holding it rather than climbing on the worktop !
Stay safe peeps !!! wink

BananaPie Sat 14-Feb-15 13:21:05

Think about noise - worth paying more for a quiet one if your living space is all open plan.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: