Advanced search

Re-installing a fireplace

(6 Posts)
JustStirItUna Thu 12-Feb-15 11:57:13

Our bedroom wall in our (new, yet to move into) house has a boarded up fireplace. I'm keen to re-install a fireplace, non working, but how do I go about doing it? There's space 'behind' the wall as it were to fit the depth of a fireplace, but do I need someone to actually install it? Do they just literally stick it to the wall?

iquitelikethefudge Fri 13-Feb-15 21:22:40

If you are buying your surround from a local shop they will be able to recommend someone to install it or have installers themselves. Or google installers in your area.

They will have experience in replacing fire surrounds whether the space has been blocked up or gas/electric fires fitted etc. We had to have the lintel replaced additionally which made it a bit more expensive.

iquitelikethefudge Fri 13-Feb-15 21:23:58

Sorry meant to say they screw it to the wall. Well they did ours anyway. Hopefully that was right!

LondonGirl83 Sat 14-Feb-15 12:09:39

Yeah, you can get cast iron surrounds that can be screwed into the wall. We reopened ours as well. Good luck, I think chimney breasts look much better with a fireplace.

bilbodog Sat 14-Feb-15 13:20:23

if its an old house i.e. Victorian - you can get original fireplaces from salvage yards or look on Ebay. I wouldn't put a modern one in an old house.

JustStirItUna Sat 14-Feb-15 17:26:12

Ah fab, screwed to the wall, that makes sense!!!

Thanks all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now