Advanced search

laminated glass for french doors

(8 Posts)
stopthecavalry Tue 10-Feb-15 22:02:12

Hi all. Does anyone have laminated glass in a any door or window as opposed to toughened glass? I am considering having laminated glass in some french doors but I have heard it can have a green 'tinge'. Has anyone found this and was it really noticeable? Thanks.

PigletJohn Tue 10-Feb-15 22:09:14

Yes, I do. I recently had it fitted to replace an old unit. IIRC it was about £100-£150 dearer, and rather heavy (the installer said it weighed 50kg so brought his SIL to help lift it). I chose it because it is very burglar-resistant.

I can't see any green tinge.

There will perhaps be a slightly greater thickness of glass, which might make a difference. Even if it is green, you would probably only be able to see it if you had a laminated and a toughened pane next to each other.

stopthecavalry Wed 11-Feb-15 08:58:45

Thanks Piglet that's good to know. We have been waiting for a sample from our builders but can't see it arriving soon so we may just have to order the door anyway. We too are attracted by its burglar proof nature but seem in the minority with this. Not sure why.

PigletJohn Wed 11-Feb-15 11:09:39

If you go to a local glass merchant they may have a sample you can look at.

SASASI Wed 11-Feb-15 12:49:35

I have heard of blue tinted glass so when you look out it seems brighter than it really is but not green ? I think that would be quite nice.

Piglet john have you heard of UV tinted glass for windows, patio doors etc? Do you have any thoughts on it?

PigletJohn Wed 11-Feb-15 13:30:54

SASASI Wed 11-Feb-15 13:34:22

Cheers! Can't find out much about it, must be very rare.

stopthecavalry Wed 11-Feb-15 15:52:44

Thanks Piglet. Good tip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now