Talk

Advanced search

Cost of replacing locks?

(14 Posts)
Vagndidit Tue 10-Feb-15 13:15:27

We're expecting to complete on our new home (fingers crossed!!) in a few weeks time and I'm trying to compile a list of the one-off costs involved in a move.

Anyone know, generally, what it would cost to have the front and back door locks replaced by a legit locksmith?

wowfudge Tue 10-Feb-15 14:23:14

You can replace just the barrels on many standard locks. They cost between £10 and £20 each and you just need a screwdriver. Buy them from the likes of Screwfix. DP did ours in about half an hour.

cressetmama Tue 10-Feb-15 14:45:01

I had one done a few months ago and was charged £150. Insurance regulation approvals have been changing and none of mine comply with modern regs. As we have a number of outside doors, the prospect of changing them all is frightening.

PigletJohn Tue 10-Feb-15 15:41:29

It is an easy DIY job.

You are likely to meet three kinds of lock:

BS 5-lever mortice deadlock
This is the most secure lock, usually found in wooden doors. Although it is possible to change the levers, it is simple and inexpensive to swap it for a new one. You only need to take out about two scews. There is a slight variation in size, so if you want one that fits straight in, look at the makers name (usually stamped on the fore-end) and get the same again. Or you can take it out and measure it. The critical dimensions are the depth of the case (front to back) and the backset (distance from front of lock to keyhole). Some higher-grade Chubb detainer locks are taller than usual.

Nightlatch
This is what you might call a "Yale" lock. It is not very secure because lock and keep are screwed to the face of the door. If you ever see a cop show on TV where someone shoulders a door open, it will be one of them that gives way. They vary from pathetically insecure and cheap, to quite good BS locks (which are much more expensive than BS mortice locks). They are usually found on wooden doors. An ordinary cylinder can be opened using an inexpensive tool. If the knob or handle is not keylocked, they can be opened through a letterbox using a simple home-made tool. You can change the cylinder in a matter of minutes if the door is open, though if there is another cylinder in the knob, you can't change it and will have to buy a new one (or go to an expert locksmith). If buying a replacement, you need the same backset as the old one.

Eurocylinder locks
They are usually found on plastic doors. They have two potential weaknesses that enable them to be opened by burglars using inexpensive simple tools. You can change the cylinder in a matter of minutes, if you have the key. The cylinder length has to be such that the ends of the cylinder reach, but do not protrude beyond, the door furniture. There are some more expensive ones which are less easy for unskilled burglars to open.

Vagndidit Tue 10-Feb-15 22:34:02

It might be an easy Diy job for talented DIYers but myself and DH are hopeless(!!) with anything beyond changing lightbulbs or painting (and have no tools to work with either)

We'll happily pay for good service.

PigletJohn Tue 10-Feb-15 22:40:11

your local locksmith will do it. There's some trade association they ought to belong to. You need to be careful of anyone knowing your address who also has access to your keys (so if buying mail order, have them sent to a friend).

In my small town, the guy has a shop, and does home visits in spare time. Others may recommend someone. Burglar Alarm companies may do it at high prices. Local police might have a register.

JonathanRolande1 Wed 11-Feb-15 15:59:51

Go for 5 lever locks or you may jeopardise insurance/security. They are around £60 each and a locksmith will charge about £100 to fit them.

locksmithlondon Wed 11-Jan-17 00:52:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

bathshower Wed 11-Jan-17 08:36:27

I'm very DIY incompetent (I can just about manage painting but it's a bit slapdash) and I can change a 5-lever mortice deadlock in under 10 minutes. As Piglet John says, remove 2 screws, pull out old lock, push in new lock, replace screws.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 11-Jan-17 09:09:20

Once the work was finished in our new place I replaced the lock myself with a variation on a Yale barrel lock which has those "dimples" along the shaft of the key. Only about £5 more for the mechanism and 3 keys but much more difficult to copy in a shifty shoe repair/keys cut no questions asked shop.

That's because I was quite liberal with lending the keys to randoms and leaving the door pulled on just the Yale (nothing in the house to steal at the time) but it got me thinking...

Sgtmajormummy Wed 11-Jan-17 09:14:54

This is the sort I mean. About £20 and half an hour of my time.

specialsubject Wed 11-Jan-17 09:57:22

I had one done for £50 inc lock and call out. Did the others ourselves, if you can find what you have and get direct replacements or barrels it is easy. Otherwise it isn't.

BTw read reviews first - screwfix sell a trick lock for which it was very difficult to get extra keys.

PigletJohn Wed 11-Jan-17 10:45:58

ZOMBIE

Sgtmajormummy Wed 11-Jan-17 16:37:18

Aaargh, that's the second time in a week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now