Talk

Advanced search

New extractor fan makes a banging/popping sound when it's windy

(9 Posts)
minipie Mon 09-Feb-15 15:41:27

So we recently had a new bathroom extractor fan fittedthis one. It's on an external wall and is vented straight through the wall to the outside. It seems to do a decent job and is quiet when it's on.

However when it's off, and the weather is windy, it is making a banging sound - it sounds as if some internal part is being banged back and forth so there is a loud "pop" every couple of minutes or so. Very annoying especially at night!

From a look at the technical spec it looks like there is something called a "backdraught flap" deep within the fan body, so I guess it might be that which is banging.

Has anyone had this problem and managed to fix it somehow? Pigletjohn do you have any ideas please...? Ironically we chose this model because it is quiet hmm the old one was noisy when running but didn't make this banging sound.

PigletJohn Mon 09-Feb-15 17:23:58

where the vent exits the house is there a cowl or vent?

can you recognise it here?

It is more often that outside one that blows about.

The picture is not clear but it looks like the flap is like a butterfly's wings. I might try rotating it by 90 degrees.

minipie Mon 09-Feb-15 18:07:51

Thanks PigletJohn. I don't actually know what's on the outside, will take a look tonight. Yes rotating is a good idea - that wall is actually quite protected (as it's very close to the next door house) so suspect the particular angle could have quite a big effect. Thanks.

If there is no cowl, would it help to have one fitted (big pain as really needs scaffolding to get up there safely...)

minipie Mon 09-Feb-15 18:08:42

Oh, I have also read suggestions to put gaffer tape or rubber draught sealing strip along the flap edge so it doesn't bang so loudly. But that would risk the flap sticking, right?

thanks again!

PigletJohn Mon 09-Feb-15 22:15:08

EDPM draft strip where the flap closes will cut the noise, but leave it prone to draughts.

I prefer a cowl vent, the shape discourages wind and it just has one big flap inside. The ones with little venetian blinds are very bad for rattles.

minipie Mon 09-Feb-15 22:34:02

This definitely sounds like it's just one big thing "popping" or banging rather than lots of little bits rattling ... will try to get a good look at the outside tomorrow when it's light! Next step will be to dismantle from the inside and see what we can access without having to go from the outside. Thanks again PigletJohn.

PigletJohn Mon 09-Feb-15 22:53:18

A local roofer might be willing to do it off a ladder.

CadmiumRed Mon 09-Feb-15 22:59:36

I have wondered about this - when the wind blows in a certain direction it sounds as if it is rattling sheets of corrugated iron inside the roof of our loft conversion, and I think it is getting in through the bathroom fan.

PigletJohn Mon 09-Feb-15 23:07:45

this sort stop rattling when the flaps fall off in a strong wind

this sort rattles less

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: