Talk

Advanced search

Anyone living on weird sounding streets/areas

(67 Posts)
ABroads Mon 09-Feb-15 12:57:09

We are thinking of putting an offer in on a house.. but it's on a road called 'Snatchup'.. Would it be wrong to not buy a house just because of the streetname..

Does anyone else live on weird named streets/areas and does it bother you??

LuckyLopez Mon 09-Feb-15 13:13:32

In Redbourn? :-)

ABroads Mon 09-Feb-15 13:20:08

Yes, do you know the area? We are currently in St Albans and looking to buy.. Can't afford SA!!

vickibee Mon 09-Feb-15 13:22:33

We live in an area called Penistone (pronounced Pennystone), you kind of don't notice after you've lived there ages that it refers to genitalia

LuckyLopez Mon 09-Feb-15 13:26:20

Oh no I don't know the area particularly. Just know someone nearby.

FunMitFlags Mon 09-Feb-15 14:55:45

I know exactly the road you mean!

There are a lot of roads called x bottom not a million miles away too.

Redismyfavouritefood Mon 09-Feb-15 14:58:53

My road starts with Cockxxxxxx

When I have to spell it I try not go "yeah that's COCK xxxxx"

housepicturesqueclub Mon 09-Feb-15 16:28:03

saw a place called NOB END, somewhere in Greater Manchester.

ConcreteElephant Mon 09-Feb-15 18:14:58

There's a Snatchup Alley in St A too of course. I think it's an old enough area to get away with weird names.

Unlike Princess Diana Drive...(apologies to anyone who lives there, but the name would really put me off)

Somethingtodo Mon 09-Feb-15 18:52:07

We have "Whipass Hill" around the corner

NedZeppelin Mon 09-Feb-15 18:55:03

There's a place called Nork near Epsom...

NedZeppelin Mon 09-Feb-15 18:57:15

Just be thankful they don't use Gropecunt Lane anymore shock

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Feb-15 18:58:59

I live very close to Penistone, it's lovely, name wouldn't put me off. Now, Carsick Hill is Sheffield .... Wrll it is very steep and twisty!

Have a read of this - row about street name

Hulababy Mon 09-Feb-15 19:11:07

I live near Carsick area of Sheffield, several roads with the name in its address. Its actually quite an expensive place to live, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy a house with that address!

Wednesbury Mon 09-Feb-15 19:37:40

Yes - my road has a weird name - Lickhill - and it really bothers me! I really dislike it. But it's the sort of thing that does bother me. I've seen a house I like recently and i like the road name for that house almost as much as the house. It would give me a great deal of pleasure to live there but I doubt DH would understand that and I'd never be able to explain it. It's the sort of thing that is just not on his radar.

AryaUnderfoot Mon 09-Feb-15 19:50:54

Near where my parents live is a 'Slash lane'. What is even more ironic is the fact that under the street name is a sign that reads 'road liable to flooding'.

There's a Pity Me in County Durham.

1lov3comp5 Mon 09-Feb-15 20:01:40

There's a road called Muff Crescent in a town called Nobber near me grin

Marcipex Mon 09-Feb-15 20:18:15

I've seen an Easy Street. I want to live there.

InfinitySeven Mon 09-Feb-15 20:23:25

Mine has a really weird name, but it'd out me totally to write it.

It's a Medieval swearword. It sounds very much like they got a really naughty word, and then added a few letters to make it sound Ye Olde.

I thought maybe it had some relevance to something, maybe a close landmark or something, but no. Google only returns my very small street for those terms.

It's stupid. Nobody can spell it, and I can't say it without it sounding very rude, so I have to try and give my postcode and number and hope that they won't ask, or just start spelling it without saying it first. I look weird.

Gumnast2014 Mon 09-Feb-15 20:26:52

I live in upperthong it's a talking point!

ValancyJane Mon 09-Feb-15 20:28:34

I once vetoed renting a flat in Worcester purely because the street was named "the butts"!!!

FunMitFlags Mon 09-Feb-15 20:36:10

ConcreteElephant we looked round a lovely house in that road several years ago but rejected it because we couldn't get past the name!

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Feb-15 20:41:40

<waves at vickibee and gumnast> I'm not far from either of you.

MimsyBorogroves Mon 09-Feb-15 20:45:02

I used to drive down CumCum Hill when I lived near Enfield and worked in Hertford.

It had a junction off it called Cucumber Lane.

FelixFelix Mon 09-Feb-15 20:49:58

Not off putting, but a road I used to pass on my way to work in Sheffield called 'Pocket Handkerchief Lane' and I've always wanted to live there. I don't think it even has any houses on it.

Me and DP drove to Bridlington a couple of years ago and laughed our heads off driving through a village called 'Wetwang' grin Also went past a sign for 'Land of Nod' which sounded heavenly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: