Talk

Advanced search

is lino on a bathroom floor acceptable

(23 Posts)
areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Mon 09-Feb-15 09:59:24

Have been told for years that lino is horrible, however have found some very naice lino tiles. Until this point I was going to tile the floor but it's ££££. Has lino improved? Will I be the laughing stock of my neighbours?

mabelbabel Mon 09-Feb-15 10:03:31

What type of lino? Do you mean lino or vinyl? Either way, if you like it, it's acceptable!

Sallyingforth Mon 09-Feb-15 10:05:41

Vinyl flooring is ideal for bathrooms.

Sallyingforth Mon 09-Feb-15 10:07:58

Just to add that tiles are more difficult to lay and are more difficult to clean. The joints can trap dirt.

Skeppers Mon 09-Feb-15 10:08:11

It's got to be better than carpet *boak*.

We're looking at rentals at the moment and SO MANY of them have carpeted bathrooms! WTF!?

I dream of lino. It's fine.

Damnautocorrect Mon 09-Feb-15 10:27:43

I have Lino, it's lovely. It's warmer than tiles and stuff doesn't break when you drop stuff on it

mrsbabookaloo Mon 09-Feb-15 10:29:40

Thanks for this thread! More thoughts/ideas on bathroom floors please! I am flooring obsessed right now!

onepieceoflollipop Mon 09-Feb-15 10:31:42

Karndean - have it in our kitchen and love it. It's like article but not so £££
We have ceramic type tiles in the bathrooms, and find them cold in comparison.

silverfingersandtoes Mon 09-Feb-15 10:32:00

I have just had sheet rhinofloor put down, looks lovely (black and white crossways chequerboard in Victorian bathroom) and is warm and practical. Couldn't be better smile

onepieceoflollipop Mon 09-Feb-15 10:32:17

Article = amtico

Moreisnnogedag Mon 09-Feb-15 10:33:15

We've always had Lino. Much prefer it to tiles as less risk of sharp edges, cheaper, softer and warmer.

Itwontletmenamechange Mon 09-Feb-15 14:47:11

We have Lino. Easy to clean and was recommended over tiles as we had small children so not as hard if they fall (apparently)

FunMitFlags Mon 09-Feb-15 14:54:24

My SIL recently out black and white chequerboard pattern lino tiles in a bathroom and it looks really, really good. She said it was a very easy DIY job.

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Mon 09-Feb-15 15:12:01

I think I have a 1970's seaside boarding house idea in mind, sure the quality has improved. I've ordered some samples so if they feel and look good then we'll be saving ourselves a fortune. Hooray

Bunbaker Mon 09-Feb-15 15:15:29

We replaced the carpet with Cushionfloor last year and it has completely revamped the bathroom.

IssyStark Mon 09-Feb-15 15:47:45

We hvae dyed cork tiles in the bathroom - it was a toss up between that at lino (previously had vinyl on a roll rather than tiles). Perfectly acceptable imho.

scratchandsniff Mon 09-Feb-15 15:53:16

Nothing at all wrong with lino. We have it in the bathroom and kitchen. Easy to clean and not expensive. Lino tiles tend to collect dirt in the joins and the edges can lift a bit.

cressetmama Mon 09-Feb-15 16:49:07

Dyed cork tiles on a sort-of engineered floor installed in bathroom. It's good, warm, comfortable and forgiving of things dropped, but maybe not for you if you (or your DCs) regularly soak the floor as it will gradually warp.

SomewhereIBelong Mon 09-Feb-15 16:53:17

lino is great... tiles are eeeeekk in a bathroom with a toilet - pee stained grout is as bad as carpet IMHO....

Fadingmemory Mon 09-Feb-15 16:54:34

I had a kitchen floored with Marmoleum (a sort of latter day lino) and it looked great. Comes in a big variety of colours and can be cut to form designs amalgamating different colours. There is a Marmoleum Home Décor Facebook page.

Mobilette Mon 09-Feb-15 16:57:02

Marmoleum, with underfloor heating. Stylish, durable and totally natural.

ArcheryAnnie Mon 09-Feb-15 17:03:01

Lino is way better than tiles in a bathroom, but agree that sheet lino/vinyl/whatever is better than tiles as easier to clean.

Marmoleum is best of all.

Tiles: cold, expensive, noisy for the room below, and anything you drop will smash.

msmorgan Mon 09-Feb-15 20:33:49

I've just had vinyl tiles put down in our bathroom. They look good and the heat from the radiator seems to spread across the floor so it feels lovely and warm.

Our tiler fit them, he found it more fiddly than ceramic tiles but he's never laid vinyl ones before.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: