Talk

Advanced search

How much did your extension cost and what did you have done?

(22 Posts)

Just toying with a couple of ideas. We have a small conservatory on the back of our kitchen and I'm wondering how much it would cost to have an extension built to replace the conservatory and move the kitchen into the conservatory to create a dining area where the kitchen is now.

Floor space wise, I guess the conservatory is about 10' x 10'.

Any ideas how much this could cost? Is it worth it? The conservatory gets so cold in winter and hot in summer, even though we spent an awful lot of money getting the roof replaced with a thermo-one when we moved in (made no difference whatsoever!!)

Or we could keep the kitchen where it is and have through kitchen/dining room, only just thought of that one!

mymatemax Mon 09-Feb-15 21:27:20

we are having quotes for similar, re-building conservatory & adding a little extra. Moving kitchen etc.
been quoted hugely different amounts 12k -22k

We have a little electric wall mounted heater in the conservatory, its on low all the time and seems to stop all the house heat going straight out of the conservatory.
It stays nice and warm in there, even in winter.

Olive324 Mon 09-Feb-15 22:08:09

We are doing similar to you at the moment. Knocking down a cold lean to, building a slightly bigger extension, ripping out kitchen and expanding it into new extension with a dining area. With new kitchen and new boiler we are looking at 60k. Gulp.....

Marmitelover55 Mon 09-Feb-15 23:05:37

We knocked down a lean to conservatory and single skin extension and replaced with a new extension. We had a new kitchen and boiler, bifold doors, new utility, snug and study - total cost about £80k. It is fab though.

mymatemax Mon 09-Feb-15 23:28:56

OMG I think I may get my 12k builder to sign on the dotted line!
It doesn't include the kitchen or bathroom suite though.

SquidgyMaltLoaf Mon 09-Feb-15 23:33:07

Knocked down pushed over with one finger old lean-to 'sunroom' (ha!). Built new 5x4m kitchen extension, turned old kitchen into utility and WC, new master with ensuite over kitchen, £60k plus cost of kitchen and a lot of my sanity . Included all new central heating as ours wouldn't work with new boiler.

LovingTheSunshine Mon 09-Feb-15 23:42:26

Wow Squidgy I take it you are not in the south? I'd expect double here for what you have smile

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Mon 09-Feb-15 23:49:28

God, wish we could have pushed ours at the last house down with one finger, lol!

We took down - very slowly over several days, as some of the blocks were humungous - an old stone attached outbuilding and replaced with a larger (7m x 5m approx) kitchen & utility extension with vaulted ceiling and double height feature window.

Total cost around £40-45k inc electrics, plumbing etc, but we did all demo, plastering, tiling and decoration ourselves, sourced primed, inframe units from a small joinery co and DH built a huge island. We splurged on F&B wall tiles and limestone floor though.....

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Mon 09-Feb-15 23:50:15

We were in Wilts btw....

AKnickerfulOfMenace Tue 10-Feb-15 00:02:54

Marking place

ColdFeetWarmHeart Tue 10-Feb-15 00:10:07

Ooh marking place

Would people mind saying where they are roughly? I'm in Kent and I assume would cost more here than in other parts of the country.

Oh lordy, much more than I expected, I have £20k tops confused
Glad I asked, dream over!

SquidgyMaltLoaf Tue 10-Feb-15 18:31:38

Yes LovingTheSunshine we're in the north west. You've just made me feel a lot better about the cost because I've been stressing about it!!

The lean to was made of wood. The builders brought along a small digger to demolish it and then said afterwards that had been overkill as it collapsed after about ten seconds!

SquidgyMaltLoaf Tue 10-Feb-15 18:32:31

Rough guide for extensions is about £1200/sqm OP, depending on where you are of course.

SquidgyMaltLoaf Tue 10-Feb-15 18:33:38

Oh and VAT!! We merrily booked the builder and then realised his quote didn't include VAT and we had to borrow from the bank of mum and dad come up with an extra £10k..!

Marmitelover55 Tue 10-Feb-15 19:28:36

Our £80k included vat.

schilke Tue 10-Feb-15 19:49:21

Just spent nearly £140 k on our extension. Demolished old crap kitchen extension, rebuild kitchen as kitchen/diner knocked through into dining room with storage room underneath and bedroom with ensuite above. New slate roof to rest of house. Just waiting for terrace from diner bifold doors - currently have 2m drop. Back of the house is lower than front!

Our builders are great. They drew up plans, project managed whole thing. We paid them a daily rate and we paid all materials bills direct.

schilke Tue 10-Feb-15 19:50:29

I'm in Surrey by the way. Plus had new boiler installed and ufh in extension.

puffylovett Wed 11-Feb-15 21:07:10

Marking place, as we also have a conservatory to replace!

EssexMummy123 Wed 11-Feb-15 22:35:57

We're having a couple of firms out next week to talk about removing conservatory and a couple of lean to's and adding a 2 storey extension - worried about the cost but currently in a 2-bed with dc2 on the way so crossing fingers it comes in at nearer the 60k than 100k!

TalkinPeace Wed 11-Feb-15 22:53:03

£1500 per square metre of floor space - to finished.
we had a LOT of square metres added.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: