Talk

Advanced search

Tough Flooring

(11 Posts)
wavingfuriously Sat 07-Feb-15 20:35:37

As a new kitchen is underway in our place www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/a2297783-kitchen-fitting?msgid=52406082#52406082

we've had to clear out our (very) small hall and lobby for access purposes. Due to us being 'outdoorsy' peeps ie..walking the dog, coming in covered with mud from hiking etc,. it is high time to rip up the dirty old carpet and put down some tough flooring..trouble is we have no idea what material to use !confused
Can any kind and knowledgeable people suggest anything please ? that is hard-wearing, easy to clean kind of thing. the old carpet has horrid stains on and is basically, well, past it..grin
Thank you

wowfudge Sun 08-Feb-15 21:24:28

Something like Karndean or Amtico would be my suggestion. Warm underfoot, easy to clean, etc. After the kitchen is finished obviously. What flooring are you having in the kitchen?

wavingfuriously Sun 08-Feb-15 22:39:05

thanks wow, have heard of Amtico, do you have it, is it bombproof ?
as for kitchen got porcelain tiles lined up !

wowfudge Sun 08-Feb-15 23:03:53

My parents have Amtico in their kitchen and Karndean in the bathroom. They use the kitchen a lot and the flooring is ten years old with no visible signs of wear. If we come afford it, I'd have myself.

MillyMollyMama Mon 09-Feb-15 00:34:29

I have ceramic tiles in my hall. We have a dog and they are brilliant. Ours look just like limestone but take everything thrown at them without staining. Can you extend the kitchen tiles into the hall to have a seemless look? It works for us.

YNK Mon 09-Feb-15 01:05:41

I have similar bonded flooring through the kitchen, utility and wet room. It's brilliant stuff (I have a dirty dog).
I recommend taking it up the wall by 6in or so, including the kick boards on the kitchen units.

overmydeadbody Mon 09-Feb-15 06:47:25

I'd say extend the kitchen flooring into the hall and lobby.

OliviaBenson Mon 09-Feb-15 10:41:54

We have Karndean and its bombproof! We got the parquet design and most people who visit think it's real. Really easy to clean and it looks great!

pashmina696 Mon 09-Feb-15 11:41:09

I have an engineered oak floor in my hall and it seems to take everything, also like amtico it is warm underfoot, i have amtico in a bathroom and it is lovely, also tiles can look good extended but best if they have underfloor heating as otherwise they are freezing, they are also less forgiving for dropping things on them.

wavingfuriously Mon 09-Feb-15 22:24:47

thanks people for your kind feedback..unfortunately we can't extend into hall and looby cos the lounge is in the way ! otherwise it would seem sensible agreed. looks like amtico will be investigated for our two small rooms.. btw we're thinking tiles are out because, i don't know if any1 else had this problem, our tough old entrance/fire door would have to be removed and a bit cut off the bottom so the tiles would fit - but then our 5 lever key would no longer fit the lock !!shock

YNK Thu 12-Feb-15 11:18:49

www.pennineflooring.com/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: