Talk

Advanced search

does anyone have a sun / light tunnel?

(13 Posts)
mayfridaycomequickly Fri 06-Feb-15 21:56:41

Do they make a massive difference?

We've got a really dark / dingy upstairs landing - no windows. Dp has suggested a sun / light tunnel.

Are they worth the money / effort? ?

RaisingSteam Fri 06-Feb-15 22:38:18

Yes, I think they're just right for landings.
I'll see if I can find a picture of our landing with all the door closed and two light tubes.
Certainly light enough to walk through without needing to turn the light on.

IIRC they were Lightway ones - make sure they have a flat mirror tube not a crinkly/concertina one.

They are about £300 to buy plus some roof work needed to install - this was wrapped up in a building project for us so not sure what it would be - maybe a day's work for a builder/roofer to put in a couple.

Pradaqueen Fri 06-Feb-15 22:41:47

I had a sun pipe in an internal bathroom a couple of houses ago, well worth the expense and disruption.

fuctifino Fri 06-Feb-15 22:45:53

Yes, I have one on the landing. Would recommend, as a pp said, it generates enough light not to need to turn the light on.

Older Fri 06-Feb-15 22:46:10

Yes. It's like having a light on.

RaisingSteam Fri 06-Feb-15 22:48:13

I love that you get a tiny glow of moonlight too on nights like tonight.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sat 07-Feb-15 05:39:01

My parents have one, it's brilliant.

TheMightyMing Sat 07-Feb-15 07:47:47

How do they work though? Our upstairs is terribly dark since we lost the side window when we extended, we had a brand new roof on at that time, do you have a sort of tube running vertically in your loft? I ask as our loft is a storage room ( confused).

This one looks great though! Xx

mayfridaycomequickly Sat 07-Feb-15 08:15:34

Brilliant - I love MN for stuff like this :-) looks like they're worth the £250 or so cost then! We're 'only' in an ex council house that we're very slowly doing up. I mentioned the light tunnels to a friend and she thought it was a bit 'out of the ordinary' for our type of house! (She lives in one too so she wasn't being snooty!)

cressetmama Sat 07-Feb-15 16:07:52

Wondrous invention! Our dungeon corridor was dark unless all the doors were opened. Cost about £500 including the roofer, and for weeks afterwards I kept trying to switch the lights off. The moonlight is an extra bonus.

They bring light in via a transparent dome on the roof, this is connected through a foil-lined pipe down through the loft space to a translucent panel in the ceiling of the room where you want light. There is probably a maximum depth/length but couldn't be specific.

RaisingSteam Sat 07-Feb-15 17:18:49

There is a tube through the loft, about a foot diameter. We just stack all our stuff around it. If your loft is actually a room you use, you might want to choose your spot carefully and box it in. Then you have the little dome on the roof, ours are angled to the back of the house as it faces south and gets the best sun.

After 3 years ours have gained a few spiders, I must take our diffusers off and dust them out!

SASASI Sat 07-Feb-15 21:56:15

I Know someone with them & every time I am there I just see flies lying in them - or are the people I know just not bothering to maintain them?

trufflenut Sat 07-Feb-15 22:46:20

We've got one ,it's brilliant has really lit up very dark landing. The concertina ones are not very efficient though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: