Talk

Advanced search

removing kitchen unit to fit tumble dryer?

(9 Posts)
PrettyLittleMitty Mon 02-Feb-15 16:43:35

Hi, in need of some advise please.

We have a small kitchen and no extra space for a much needed tumble dryer. How easy would be for me to knock out a kitchen unit (which is against the wall on one side)? I can't afford to have a professional do it but am worried that it may be acting as a support for the work surface? Or would the work surface be firmly attached to the wall?

So sorry for the silly questions, I am new to this DIY stuff (as you can probably tell).

Are there any dangers I should look out for before heading in and knocking it out?

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 02-Feb-15 16:46:06

Im about to try and remove a unit too, so am glad you posted this question. My unit next to the wall has already been removed, and the worktop has a baton under it for support. The one I want to remove is the next one along after it.

Could you add a strip of wood under the bench, attached to the wall, as extra support to the worktop?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 02-Feb-15 16:48:55

Heres a picture. Excuse the unplastered walls, we are about to redecorate.

TheFutureMrsB Mon 02-Feb-15 16:49:26

Could you put the tumble dryer in another room? I had no space for mine in the kitchen so it is now in my bedroom. I have black gloss wardrobes/drawers and the black dryer doesn't stand out hardly at all.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Mon 02-Feb-15 17:44:24

We're about to do this too - we are lucky as the (small) kitchen in our new house is going to become the utility whilst the kitchen will move into a reception room - and we are complete novices (although not to DIY!) to tumble dryers.

Our plan is to remove a bank of drawers next to the dishwasher and site it there.

Will follow this with interest....

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Mon 02-Feb-15 17:46:48

Forgot to say, our work surface is granite - fitted by PO - which we will try to retain, although will need to be extra careful due to the weight.....not sure how it's supported atm......

Cobain Mon 02-Feb-15 19:14:12

You could use end panels to match you current kitchen, this makes the gap smaller which also makes the space more professional looking whilst supporting the work top. My tumble dryer is outside the house in a Keter storage box, a pain in the winter but better than the condensation caused. I hated the condenser type.

fenneltea Tue 03-Feb-15 09:07:51

Have you thought about a compact tumble drier? I think White Knight make them, we had one that fit in a kitchen unit with very little modification and it remained hidden behind the cabinet door.

They only hold 3kg though, so a full load of washing would probably take two loads for the dyer.

PrettyLittleMitty Tue 03-Feb-15 10:49:39

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions and good luck to all those trying it too! Will let you know how it pans out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: