Talk

Advanced search

If you had c. £850,000 to spend on a house in London, where would you buy?

(23 Posts)
Boobz Mon 02-Feb-15 14:46:33

Currently living overseas, but coming to the end of our posting and will need to trade up our old house in London when we return, as we have out-grown it.

Our house in London is in Streatham, and I'm sure we will probably just end up trading up within the area we know, but was wondering where others might recommend as being a great place to buy, bearing in the mind we are looking for:

- 4 bedrooms (minimum)
- Garden (doesn't have to be huge, but not a postage stamp either)
- Preferably a semi, but not essential
- Prefer character house over new build, but again could be persuaded
- Not further than Zone 3/4, as children will be going to the Lycee (maybe in Wandsworth, but could also be South Ken)
- 1600+ sq ft

We would love to buy in Herne Hill/Brixton, but think we need at least a million to get the sort of house/space/garden we want there and we are already stretched at £850k.

I know nothing of the North, but get the feeling it is pricier than SE/SW?

christinarossetti Mon 02-Feb-15 15:02:32

Work around your children's school, if that is a certainty.

Honestly, commuting across London twice a day is not to be recommended.

grumbleina Mon 02-Feb-15 18:42:44

Near a lycee for sure.

I'm thinking you'll get much closer to the Wandsworth one than the South Ken - and yes staying where you are sounds sort of doable?

This seems oddly cheap? www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35822756?search_identifier=d66b19bf88fa684ba900d237655bcc59#RElwOZ1YobPhhGGI.97

It is a flat, and 4th bedroom a bit wee though.

Otherwise, depending where you'll be working, the overground goes to Clapham Junction which is fairly near the lycee, so you could look at Peckham etc, where you'll get quite a lot more for your money, and they're still nice areas.

Eg this is near Denmark Hill station, so one stop from Clapham: www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/34852290?search_identifier=a0877cae162403824798d36f99566f37#wHqoFtXZlDYPkbz0.97

Which, I don't agree with some of their furnishing choices but the living space is well nice and it's a lot more house than you seem to be able to get further west.

Boobz Tue 03-Feb-15 09:06:12

Thanks both.

Your first link grumbleina is a tad small for us I think - it's square footage is similar to what we have already (we left our place with 1 child and are returning with 3!) so I think we need a bit more space.

Yes have been thinking about Denmark Hill... a friend lives near there and loves it.

Any ideas about Elephant and Castle? Still too rough?

Londonbased87 Tue 03-Feb-15 12:51:10

Still a bit rough. The elephant and castle side of Camberwell is massively up and coming though - this is a bargain m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/london/kitson-road-se5/

Apatite1 Tue 03-Feb-15 13:09:20

I'd go for crystal palace, gipsy hill over elephant and castle any day. But it's probably too far for your lycee.

Boobz Tue 03-Feb-15 13:10:12

That does look a bargain! Outside space is not great though.

Will Kennington be too expensive on my budget?

Boobz Tue 03-Feb-15 13:13:07

This looks interesting - plenty of scope to do up..

Old Hairdressers in Kennington

grumbleina Tue 03-Feb-15 14:07:51

The Kennington one is AMAZING. Can you please buy it OP, and post photos as you do it up? I'd be wildly jealous.

The shop part is ready-made au-pair/nanny flat, too, if you're that way inclined....

Millionprammiles Tue 03-Feb-15 15:37:26

Focus on ease of work and school commutes. Minimise the number of changes (if public transport) and allow 10-15 mins per mile for driving in peak times.

South London (zone 2/3) is still cheaper than North (for the same zones). £850k will buy you a nice 4 bed in Streatham with a decent garden (especially if you're not looking at school catchment areas) but probably not in Herne Hill/Brixton/Balham/Dulwich or the western end of the Picc Line, eg Ealing, Hammersmith etc (if you're thinking of travelling into South Ken).

You could also look at Brockley, Forest Hill, West Norwood. As another poster suggested, Crystal Palace has a lot going for it too.

One thing worth remembering is the more central you are (and especially on a tube line), the more likely there will be more rented flats, more transient, younger residents who might not be so mindful of kids sleeping in the evenings...the loveliest of homes can be ruined by inconsiderate neighbours.

A sense of community, with residents caring about their surroundings, friendly neighbours keeping an eye out for each other etc is worth 10 organic cafes/delis/gastropubs.

Boobz Tue 03-Feb-15 16:36:55

I am tempted by a do-er uppper grumbleina!

Crystal Palace looks interesting, and have heard good things about Forest Hill. Definitely agree about the sense of community thing, which I think Streatham Hill has, or even Streatham Vale where we are now, but I would prefer to just be that little bit closer in - going up Streatham High Road is a PITA (longest high road in Europe apparently!)

Where are you based Million?

Millionprammiles Tue 03-Feb-15 20:31:36

Good old streatham hill smile

Boobz Tue 03-Feb-15 21:12:12

Ah - that is where I think we will end up - I saw a place in Kirkstall Road for 900k which looked good, and another on Telford Avenue.

Millionprammiles Wed 04-Feb-15 09:22:58

We've been here quite a few years and its improved a lot in that time. Lots of child friendly places for weekend brunches, couple of nice pubs and a few decent restaurants for the evening too.

There's a Streatham Mums FB group that's v friendly, great for local recommendations/info as well as gathering community support for tackling local issues. It's urban London (it'll never be Richmond...) but lots of people here genuinely care about the area.

bumbledoor Wed 04-Feb-15 11:22:39

There are places in East London a lot nicer than those overproced areas of south London with a stronger community feel such as Walthamstow Village and Wanstead (I am casually looking around there myself). Walthamstow was the fastest growing local property market in the country and seems to have loads of great schooling options. It gave me much better vibes than streatham

ChristmasMarketCrazy Wed 04-Feb-15 14:29:09

wanstead is absolutely lovely and a real village feel.

StreathamHillary Wed 04-Feb-15 23:44:46

MillionPram is right about the improvements in Streatham.
more house than garden and possibly over priced

these are nice houses, high ceilings, solid
In a 'HomeZone round a park, lovely road / area,and on the Brixton side of the S Circular
good road, has a street party, more garden

you can afford this do-er-upper n Brixton, in a good road, too!

(I'd live in Brixton if I could afford it)

and you'd have money to spare for a loft conversion here

Boobz Fri 06-Feb-15 10:10:58

I know nothing about East London at all - will have a look in Wanstead. What kind of places are you looking at there bumbledoor?

Thanks for the links Streatham - had already seen a couple of them (just on the net obvs) and love the Downton Avenue one. I would really like to be around the other side of the high road (Kirkstall Gardens/Telford Avenue) but I fear that those roads have gone beyond our price...

bumbledoor Fri 06-Feb-15 10:40:39

There are a number of fairly large Victorian houses with high ceilings and decent gardens within walking distance of zone 3 stations. Some are c rammed full of original features but I prefer a good balance between period and modern within an old shell.

GinnelsandWhippets Mon 09-Feb-15 20:48:07

Coming to this a bit late but do consider the Penge East side of sydenham. 16 mins to victoria from penge east plus links to london bridge from sydenham as well as the london overground. And you could get this type of place...
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50275646.html or this
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48115099.html/svr/2124
It's a lovely area ��

ChristmasMarketCrazy Tue 10-Feb-15 09:43:12

I live just up the road from wanstead and I would describe it as green, leafy. a lot like muswell hill and crouch end but with a tube station on the central line (admittedly zone 4)
close to Stratford which has overground, national rail, DLR, central and jubilee lines.
I can't afford to live there myself but am happy where I am as we have the crossrail coming in a few years at a station 5 minute walk from our place.
and if anyone searches my posts they will definitely know who I am now!

LondonGirl83 Tue 10-Feb-15 10:51:08

Forest Hill or Sydenham with that budget could work and might be a little leafier than where you are now. However, if you want to be near schools in Wandsworth though the commute might be too difficult. Good luck! That's a healthy budget so you'll find something nice.

Boobz Tue 10-Feb-15 19:41:17

Thanks all - am plugging all your suggestions into Right Move.

We like Forest Hill - especially around the Horniman Museum.

Have just found this super handy map of all the french schools in London. There is one quite close to Kensal Green - anyone know anything about that area? I have never lived oop north so know nada.

Map to French Schools in London

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: