Advanced search

Ceramic kichen sink

(10 Posts)
fenneltea Mon 02-Feb-15 14:35:30

Hello all, we are in the process of renovating our kitchen and I've come to the point where I need to choose a sink.

I quite like the ceramic sinks and I'm looking at a villeroy and boch provence or toulouse. My only issue is that on some websites selling ceramic sinks they say that appliances can't be housed under the drainer due to the thickness. Does anybody know if this is the case for all ceramic sinks? Better still does anybody have a ceramic drainer with an appliances underneath? (I'm thinking that raising the worktop height might give me the additional space I need for the dishwasher.)
Thanks in advance!

Fingeronthebutton Mon 02-Feb-15 14:41:11

Unless they have changed the composite on them: never again. I paid a hideous price some years ago and the problem was: the marks from anything metal. The only thing that removed them was good old fashioned scouring powder.

Marmitelover55 Mon 02-Feb-15 16:18:14

My ceramic sink is under mounted and the dishwasher is under the draining grooves in the granite.

fenneltea Mon 02-Feb-15 16:32:59

I know Fingeronthebutton, I've currently got composite (that's a never again thing too!) I've been looking at stainless steel, the drawback is that that scratches and as the kitchen is north facing I'ma bit worried about steel looking a bit clinical and cold. I don't mind having to clean a bit more, (I say that now!)

Thanks Marmitelover55, the problem is that the sinks I'm looking at are lay on or inset and have a draining board, so the appliances will have to fit under the draining board bit. We're fitting the granite ourselves and I don't think hubby fancies doing the draining grooves. (plus I quite like an old fashioned draining board.)

neepsandtatties Mon 02-Feb-15 17:41:04

Not sure I understand? I have just googled the Provence and it is a sit on sink. This means that when you install it, a hole is cut in the worktop, about 5 cm smaller than the sink/drainer all the way around, and the sink is lowered into the worktop. So underneath my ceramic sit-on-sink drainer is a hole in the worktop. My Dishwasher is underneath this hole/drainer. I can't think how appliances couldn't fit - there is more room due to the worktop hole than there is with worktop. Am I missing something?

RaisingSteam Mon 02-Feb-15 19:21:58

Ceramic sinks often have thick strengthening struts under the draining board, else they would snap like a cracker when picked up. So there isn't a full height available under the drainer like there would be with a steel or plastic composite sink. Look at the manufacturer's diagram for the one you are interested in.

fenneltea Mon 02-Feb-15 19:32:00

neepsandtatties - yes, that is what we have currently, but a few websites have stated that you can't do this with ceramic, which has bamboozled me! The provence is a 'lay on' sink so runs the full depth of the counter rather than being inset, so I didn't know if that made a difference.confused

RaisngSteam - That makes perfect sense, thankyou!

RaisingSteam Mon 02-Feb-15 20:21:19

how can such important information be so hard to find? I've seen that exact sink in a holiday cottage, it is definitely quite bulky underneath.

You might get away with a normal inset one if you can find a side view diagram - the V&B inset sinks seem to have a flat bottom to the drainer.

neepsandtatties Mon 02-Feb-15 21:24:59

I have a Rangemaster Rustique and it has no struts or anything underneath, just a hole cut in the worktop.

fenneltea Tue 03-Feb-15 08:55:28

Hmmm, I think I'll have to steer clear of anything bulky then, having to rearrange the appliances will be a right headache. I'll have a look at the Rangemaster Rustique, it sounds like it might be more suited. Honestly, I thought I'd just have to pick size, material and colour! I'll be off to the showrooms with a tape measure I think! Thanks again, you've been really helpful. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now