Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a plastic/PVC ceiling in their bathroom?

(13 Posts)
Celia1978 Mon 02-Feb-15 12:32:14

We're getting a new bathroom and our builders are very keen on putting a plastic/PVC ceiling in - they think it's more modern, better for rooms that are going to get steamed up and means they don't have to redo the current (plaster) ceiling.

I was really against it - it just seems like it would be really shiny and fake and, well, plasticky (it's a Victorian house btw) but we had a chat with the builders this morning and they were SO enthusiastic about them - including mentioning other clients who hadn't been sure but now loved them - that I'm wondering if I'm wrong.

So if you have one, please come and tell me about it!

Onecurrantbun Mon 02-Feb-15 13:26:21

We have one but only moved in on Monday so can only really comment on how it looks. To me, I like it. It has spotlights inset into it and looks lovely and clean despite being c. 4 years old. Ours has a slightly wood grain to it so it looks similar-ish to tongue and groove bath panelling, it's white but not especially shiny. I didn't notice it when we looked round the house 3 x before offering - how often do you really look at the ceiling?!

bilbodog Mon 02-Feb-15 13:26:24

sounds like a recipe for disaster to me in a Victorian house - they need to breath - I envisage this getting covered in condensation and dripping all the time - never heard of them but will have to google now and find out. Stick with plaster ceiling as normal - and make sure they put in an extractor fan.

Onecurrantbun Mon 02-Feb-15 13:28:20

Forgot to mention we have an extractor fan so no drippy coneensation, 1930s house

OldBeanbagz Mon 02-Feb-15 13:33:05

I wouldn't have a plastic ceiling in the bathroom of a Victorian house. It would be more appropiate in a moberm bathroom, wetroom or swimming pool.

Sounds like they just can't be bothered to plaster the ceiling!

OldBeanbagz Mon 02-Feb-15 13:33:48

modern not moberm!

bilbodog Mon 02-Feb-15 13:36:30

I've just googled them and I think they sound awful - may be as previously said in a modern home but not a Victorian one. Remind me of cheap refurbs in cheap B & Bs in the past! Does sound like they just can't be bothered to do a property job.

hangoninaminute Mon 02-Feb-15 13:52:14

Can you paint it? What if it gets damaged? How would you fix it? Not sure how it would get damaged but just a thought! smile

wowfudge Mon 02-Feb-15 14:15:15

Is it a false ceiling then? In which case you could have insulation put above it which could help with condensation issues, especially if the room is cold.

Onecurrantbun Mon 02-Feb-15 15:04:32

Wowfudge it's cladding, not sure on the ins and outs tbh but anything that reduces maintenance is good by me. If you really don't want It just say no, you're paying them after all

wowfudge Mon 02-Feb-15 15:47:54

Thanks Onecurrantbun - I was asking the OP whether it was going to be installed as a false ceiling, so with a gap between the existing ceiling and it.

My DPs had a false tongue and groove ceiling installed some years ago which was insulated. Thankfully they painted it white!

catwithflowers Mon 02-Feb-15 18:41:55

Our electrician and plumber were keen too. We also have a victorian house and said absolutely not! We had it replastered instead and it looks great smile

Celia1978 Mon 02-Feb-15 21:21:25

Thanks everyone - seems like most people have the same reaction as me! To be fair to them the builders are really good - I think it's just that their 'vision' for the bathroom is super-modern and the ceiling fits into that, maybe? Plus it will be cheaper I think than taking the ceiling down, so they're mindful of our budget. (We're taking a wall down and extending the bathroom so the ceiling will end up a bit of a mess where the old wall was, which is why something needs to be done.)

It will sit beneath the old ceiling if we put it in so I suppose in that sense it is a false ceiling, but I don't know if there will be much of a cavity between the two. They are putting an extractor fan in anyway - and there's a draughty (Victorian!) window so it won't get horribly steamed up.

Anyway, I think I'd rather have plaster all things considered but thanks for all your input!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: