Advanced search

House survey

(5 Posts)
am67 Sat 31-Jan-15 07:18:59

My parents are buying a small house on a new development, which is just under 3 years old. They are paying cash so there will no mortgage. What are people's thoughts on a survey. Do they need one, they have the remainder of the Nhbc warranty.

Many thanks

FunnyBird Sat 31-Jan-15 07:31:11

I'm a surveyor.
I often think I'm wasting time when I do surveys of new builds.
But I will try hard to find something to report. And a homebuyer report will also have valuation advice in, which might be useful if they're not having a mortgage

Quitelikely Sat 31-Jan-15 07:34:10

I don't think they do. Anything majorly wrong will be covered by the warranty.

I think it would be a waste of money.

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 31-Jan-15 07:36:57

A lot of insurance details, for buildings insurance, require a validation that to the best of your knowledge the building was in good condition at some point and any damage / loss to it is since the period of insurance. Without a survey that could be hard to prove. I appreciate its new build but even so.

I've had various surveys not mortgage linked. You're talking about maybe £200 for a non mortgage report and surveyors valuation (negotiate over price particularly if its not slowing things down)

am67 Sat 31-Jan-15 20:52:03

Thanks for the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now