Talk

Advanced search

Removing paint from brick house

(13 Posts)
Marrou Fri 30-Jan-15 16:05:21

Has anyone removed paint from their house exterior and returned it to brick? Our new house has a plasticised paint coating which has been applied to it which is cracking and needs removing. To do this you paint the bricks with a chemical gel and then wash with very hot water at low pressure. The guy who would do it reckons he will be able to return the house to being brick rather than painted, which we would very much prefer, but I was wondering how successful this is likely to be. In fact any experience of this kind of thing would be very welcome!

iquitelikethefudge Fri 30-Jan-15 16:15:31

Watching with interest, my house also has that weird plasticised coating on it and I would dearly love to return it to brick. Although I am a bit worried about what I may find if I do! Would you mind saying how much you were quoted for removal?

Cacofonix Fri 30-Jan-15 16:25:01

I am not sure about that exact method but a Victorian house near us had paint removed from the exterior bricks and I think they also has to have it repointed but the bricks looked fine. Improved the house loads I think too.

Marrou Sat 31-Jan-15 01:49:59

Our house is three storeys built in 1850s so a decent height and the guide price to remove the paint was £2500 for the front only. Someone is coming out to quote properly in a weeks time. You definitely can't sandblast as it ruins the brick.

OliviaBenson Sat 31-Jan-15 08:02:10

For old buildings there are systems called JOSS or DOFF to remove paint.

Your quote sounds very competitive. It will do the house good as it will allow it to breathe again. If you need to repoint, this should be in lime mortar as the bricks will be too soft for cement.

TeddyBee Sat 31-Jan-15 10:12:39

I have a very little bit of my brick work painted and would love to return it to brick. It's all at ground level so I was wondering if I could do it myself. Would there be a variation on the method above I could use? And OP good to hear how you get on if you do go ahead!

PigletJohn Sat 31-Jan-15 13:51:03

if the bricks have been painted, it will be because they are in bad condition, so you are unlikely to expose beautiful brickwork. You might end up having to render or clad it.

CoffeeBeanie Sat 31-Jan-15 14:23:43

Our 30s semi has got overpainted brick from ground to about 2m height. I'm fairly sure the previous owner was a victim of crooks, it's not the only crime committed on this property. Neighbours commented on the fact he believed everyone who came to the door to persuade him to spend his money.

The brickwork in the (hideous) porch is untouched and in very good condition, so I think the brickwork is intact under the paint. I am also interested in finding out how I can restore the bricks. Why is sandblasting ruining the bricks? Does that go for 1930s bricks as well? Bricks in general?

TeddyBee Sat 31-Jan-15 16:56:56

They're ok on our joined on neighbour's house - would quite like to match the other side of the semi.

CoffeeBeanie Sat 31-Jan-15 18:52:59

Ted, we seem to be in the same situation. Our adjoining neighbour's brickwork look just fine.

paxtecum Sat 31-Jan-15 18:56:34

Sandblasting ruins bricks because it removes the outer surface of the bricks, making them very likely to crumble over time.

TeddyBee Sat 31-Jan-15 20:54:41

Yes, I think it's just a hideous cosmetic decision, like the rank conifers down the centre of the shared drive. Blehrgg.

CoffeeBeanie Sat 31-Jan-15 21:22:18

Our paint is red. Dark red. On red bricks. Sandblasting is probably not a good idea then, pax.
Has anyone used PeelAway 7?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: