Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me how much your new boiler cost

(22 Posts)
ratsintheattic Fri 30-Jan-15 08:17:37

We need a new boiler and the quotes seem ridiculously high to us - works out to be about £1000 per day for labour. I suspect people are trying to take advantage of us as we have no central heating or hot water at the moment but would like to get a feel for how much others have paid.

JugglingLife Fri 30-Jan-15 08:20:59

We have had our boiler replaced this week, like for like so all done in a day and it was £1400, previously we had the whole system replaced incl copper pipes and it was £5000 - so it all depends on exactly what they are doing?

ratsintheattic Fri 30-Jan-15 08:22:39

thank you. do you mind saying what type and make of boiler it was?

JugglingLife Fri 30-Jan-15 08:24:54

This weeks one is a glow worm condensing boiler, the previous v expensive one was a Worcester Bosch all singing all dancing beast of a thing. What size house is it going into, what type of boiler is it, are they doing much work outside of boiler replacement? We too had some stupid quotes.

LordJabuJabu Fri 30-Jan-15 08:27:55

Will get the breakdown later but we've just had old water tank out/central heating installed and it was £4.6k for 5 days work, roughly £1k for the Gloworm boiler.

LordJabuJabu Fri 30-Jan-15 08:28:14

Oh and we're in London!

ratsintheattic Fri 30-Jan-15 08:28:34

it's a like for like replacement of a combi boiler. Will run 14 radiators and 2 bathrooms. We have chosen a Worcestor Bosch but now think this may be outside our budget. Boiler cost is not too bad it's the installation that's so high.

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 30-Jan-15 08:29:16

We had a Worcester boiler installed before xmas - it was £2400. We had a lot of pipes replaced and it took them about 14 hours to install (in one day). It was for a largish house. Well worth it!

TurboTheChicken Fri 30-Jan-15 08:29:44

We just had our oil boiler replaced, it had to be moved outside due to new regulations so there was new piping, the drive had to come up blah, blah, blah.

It took four days & cost £6k.

I had three quotes and they were all between £6-8k.

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 30-Jan-15 08:30:54

13 radiators and 2 bathrooms to do here - so it's got a lot of work to do...

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 30-Jan-15 08:32:58

Nothing -because I'm a tenant < helpful>

But its a gloworm and I can tell you I'm very happy with it.

FannyFanakapan Fri 30-Jan-15 08:34:48

we had a new boiler fitted 2 years ago for £1500 all in - Worcester greenstar and all labour. But it was going in the same space as the old boiler and there was minimal pipework rejigging involved. System flush. rebalance rads.

Go for the best boiler you can.

AryaUnderfoot Fri 30-Jan-15 08:58:18

We paid 2600 last July for a new Worcester Bosch boiler and new hot water cylinder. The price included running a new gas supply from the meter, moving the boiler to the other side of the kitchen, running new electrics as the old boiler didn't have a pump overrun and doing a power flush on the radiators.

....but that was in the middle of July!

GoldfishSpy Fri 30-Jan-15 08:59:31

4 years ago, cost £2K for a new condenser boiler and fitting.

But we were insured so only had to pay a small excess.

BikeRunSki Fri 30-Jan-15 09:09:54

We had ours replaced in October. £1800 including a new thermostat, 6 TVRs (temp gauges on radiators) and a wee pump to pump the boiler condensate in the waste water pipe. British Gas quoted £2K more for a smaller boiler.

housepicturesqueclub Fri 30-Jan-15 09:12:34

Quite often see adverts for combi boiler replacement at around £1100-1200 all in. Whoever you go with, make sure they come recommended or have positive reviews.

Apatite1 Fri 30-Jan-15 09:17:23

New boiler in our small flat cost £1800 all in

oneofthosenicemuslims2015 Fri 30-Jan-15 09:34:01

Had a quote in December of 4k from British Gas and £2.5k from a smaller company (found on check a trade so good reviews). £1.8k from a local chap who I'm not entirely sure will do the greatest job. That's to replace the condensing boiler (ancient glow worm) with another condensing one. A combi would cost about 1k (ish) more.
The quotes include flushing the pipes and some descaling thingy. British gas included replacing radiator valves too which they felt was necessary but nobody else mentioned it.

grumbleina Fri 30-Jan-15 10:23:35

New boiler + installation of 4 rads and all associated labour/pipework (house had never had central) about £4k in London.

Do not use British Gas.

FantasticMrsFoxx Fri 30-Jan-15 11:55:14

£2,200 for a WB Greenstar 29cdi (3 bed bungalow, one bathroom) which included moving it from the kitchen to under the eaves, and removal of old hot water tanks. 1.5 days work. 10 year guarantee.
British Gas quoted £4k for a straight replacement in the kitchen.
We're in central Scotland.

tipp2chicago Fri 30-Jan-15 12:11:23

Put out a call for PigletJohn. He's the man when it comes to this sort of stuff.

ratsintheattic Fri 30-Jan-15 16:35:46

Thank you for all the answers. confirmed my thought that £3k - £4k was too high. We have today had a much more realistic quote, thank goodness.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: