Talk

Advanced search

Hi - can I use any paint on radiators or do I need special radiator paint?

(14 Posts)
LikeIcan Thu 29-Jan-15 13:04:48

Any advice welcome :-)

PigletJohn Thu 29-Jan-15 15:21:49

No.

No.

Emulsion tends to hold dirt. Gloss tends to crack and may discolour.

I prefer satinwood paint.

wowfudge Thu 29-Jan-15 15:36:22

I'd echo what PigletJohn has said - emulsion has worked fine when matching rads to wall colour as has satinwood.

LikeIcan Thu 29-Jan-15 15:40:12

Many thanks :-) really appreciate advice.

Frusso Thu 29-Jan-15 15:40:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pierpressure Thu 29-Jan-15 15:40:44

I bow to Piglet John's expertise, however could I just say, although I am a huge fan of their finish and colours, I have had disasters using F & B paint on radiators. (eggshell).
I was advised after experiencing the paint flaking off and eventually having to change the radiator, that F&B use a lot of pigment but not much binder, you can use their paint, but you must use the correct primer first. Their helpline will advise.

LikeIcan Thu 29-Jan-15 16:11:02

Good to know pp - thanks for the tip :-)

SunTree Thu 29-Jan-15 16:18:35

Is satinwood eggshell?

PigletJohn Thu 29-Jan-15 17:01:06

no.

specialsubject Thu 29-Jan-15 17:37:05

you have to use radiator paint.

but even if you do, it is incredibly difficult to get a decent finish.

you'll probably find it cheaper to buy a new radiator.

Lelivre Thu 29-Jan-15 18:13:51

PigletJ please; is water based satinwood ok on radiators?

PigletJohn Thu 29-Jan-15 19:45:41

yes, as far as I can tell.

Satinwood used to be an oil paint but has now moved towards waterbased depending on brand. It is more durable and easier to clean than emulsion or eggshell.

As radiators are made of steel, which can rust, I am happier using a rust-resistant oil-based metal primer first. If you use a water paint on bare or scratched steel, even in rubbed-off corners, it will cause a little rust until it dries.

You can clean off an old rad with a nylon scourer, or a wire wool if bad. Avoid sandpaper which will cut through on the edges and the moulding. If you can do simple plumbing, you can get a better result by taking it off to prepare and paint in the garden (do the back first, them the bottom. then the top, then the front). Put in on a dustbin or something so that the painted edges do not touch anything. If you take a radiator off, check that it has the plastic "U"s on the brackets to prevent noise.

Lelivre Fri 30-Jan-15 09:01:01

Thanks so much. Great advice as always smile

confused79 Fri 30-Jan-15 09:14:02

I used radiator enamel spray to paint my radiators, thin layer at a time, and looks good as new. This was years ago and still looking pretty decent.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: