Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen tiles (or rather lack of)

(19 Posts)
Kitchenconundrums Wed 28-Jan-15 08:47:41

Hi We are hoping to have a new kitchen fitted this spring/summer and have started investigating. We have been told that now we are in the 21st century, kitchen tiles are a thing of the past and it's all glass splash backs and upstands shock, with a lot more bare painted wall than we have currently.

I am a messy splasy kind of cook and would need absolutely bombproof paint for this to work. I like the look of a tileless kitchen, but is it practical in reality? Just wondered if anyone on here is living with a tileless kitchen and would you recommend it? Thank you in advance smile

Kitchenconundrums Wed 28-Jan-15 08:48:51

*splashy

VeryPunny Wed 28-Jan-15 09:39:06

We are going for a glass splashback - it should be much easier to clean than tiles as no grouting!

noddyholder Wed 28-Jan-15 09:43:54

I think tiles were a bit out of fashion but I am an interior designer and have noticed they are back in a big way and people are ripping out glass! So if you like tiles get them

jamaisjedors Wed 28-Jan-15 10:45:51

We have one quite low row of tiles in the kitchen.

We used Little Greene washable paint and it wipes down really well - in fact better than the tiles which are hard to clean on the grout.

grumbleina Wed 28-Jan-15 11:08:33

We've got a steel splashback, not too high but high enough to take care of most splashiness. Absolutely adore it. And then little greene washable which is working really well, but I expect any paint made for heavy duty areas would be fine.

I always found tiles irritating because you get spag bol sauce on the grout and it's a bugger to get it off.

HappydaysArehere Wed 28-Jan-15 11:35:46

When my son in law who is a builder fitted our kitchen nine years ago he suggested dark grey grout which looks fine on our light creamy white slightly curvy tiles. I wipe grout down with the tiles and they have never shown any discolouration or problem. Just another idea!

Kitchenconundrums Wed 28-Jan-15 11:53:22

flowers thank you all - some great ideas. I hadn't heard of the Little Greene paint, so off to google that now.

Mrsladybirdface Wed 28-Jan-15 15:00:54

we have no tiles or splashback but have dulux trade Matt eggshell which is super scrubbable... I found it fine I just give the area behind the hob a quick wipe.

Kitchenconundrums Wed 28-Jan-15 19:44:52

Thank you! Well if we're not having tiles, that's one less decision to make.

SwedishEdith Wed 28-Jan-15 19:46:56

Just tiles behind the cooker. There's so many lovely love tiles though, I'd like to tile loads of rooms.

Lelivre Wed 28-Jan-15 20:26:35

Agree with pp there are some wonderful tiles out there. Also I painted some kind of grout seal on my last kitchen tiles and hardly ever had to clean them. I think a regular wipe is the thing to do.

Another suggestion...Stainless steel 150mm upstands are cheap on eBay, zoom in if you can to see background of pic for an idea of how this can look...

shaska Wed 28-Jan-15 21:12:56

That's what my steel looks like! Minus Michelle Obama, friend and immaculate tidiness, more like scrappy me with unwashed hair downing wine and some onions. But that's pretty much what it's like.

Honestly I love it SO much. Those e-cloth things are magic on it, and it's all gleamy and clean looking all the time.

MothershipG Wed 28-Jan-15 21:22:11

You can also get acrylic and laminate panels or even pictures of cows...not sure how practical they are?

MothershipG Wed 28-Jan-15 21:24:04

Cows

Lelivre Wed 28-Jan-15 21:25:36

Shaska - haha! How fab does Michelle's purple dress look on the mustard sofa! I now want both the sofa and dress

Kitchenconundrums Thu 29-Jan-15 16:11:42

smile

Marmitelover55 Thu 29-Jan-15 18:14:29

We have upstands and a glass splashback behind cooker but I am going to tile behind sink as am fed up with having to keep retouching up paint (matt emulsion). It's open plan and didn't want different paint in the kitchen.

sebsmummy1 Thu 29-Jan-15 18:16:28

We are having metro tiles and grey grout. I can't stand glass splash backs so I think it really comes down to personal preference over what's fashionable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: