Talk

Advanced search

Wall stickers on childrens' bedrooms

(16 Posts)
WalkingThePlank Tue 27-Jan-15 11:11:59

We're in the process of deciding how to redecorate DD's bedroom. It's going to need the wallpaper stripping off, replastering etc. DD has asked if she can have some wall stickers which sounds like a lovely idea, especially if they can be removed when she is too old for them (can't see us moving again for some decades).

However, I vaguely remember that some MNers have had problems with wall stickers not coming off nicely or leaving a residue. Can anyone help me with this? Is there a type of sticker that is better or do they all leave their mark (and require the wall to be repainted afterwards).

TIA

issynoho Tue 27-Jan-15 11:18:45

We've had Mamas and papas one that came off fine and the current IKEA ones are too, after a little test peel.

Nolim Tue 27-Jan-15 11:20:53

I got some at mothercare that came off fine.

NetballHoop Tue 27-Jan-15 11:21:58

All the ones we ever had seemed to leave marks. You could try magnetic paint and allow your DD to make magnetic "stickers".

WalkingThePlank Tue 27-Jan-15 11:43:31

NetballHoop - what kind of marks did they leave and what brands of sticker have you used?

DeanKoontz Tue 27-Jan-15 11:48:57

Watching with interest as ds has asked if we can take down his planet wall stickers. A little test has revealed that some residue will definitely be left and I don't want to decorate. I was thinking I could use paper and an iron.

TwentyTinyToes Tue 27-Jan-15 13:49:47

Djeco ones are lovely and peel off cleanly.

Mrsstevejones Tue 27-Jan-15 14:04:32

DD and DS room have them - bought very cheaply off of amazon £10 for 3 packs - jungle animals and monkeys. They are fab and really livened up their room. might re decorate soon and they do come off easily without a trace.

HahaHarrie Tue 27-Jan-15 14:53:33

Another recommendation for DJeco wall stickers. They are great, the sets we have are still as good as new after three house moves. They've been peeled off and reapplied with no issues three times and are over six years old now! Never any issue with leaving a residue or taking paint away.

Abzs Tue 27-Jan-15 15:46:08

The instructions for ours suggest warming with a hair dryer before removing. I have moved a couple and had no residue left, but they hadn't need up very long.

FunMitFlags Tue 27-Jan-15 16:00:17

I had ones from gltc that didn't leave any mark

KleineDracheKokosnuss Tue 27-Jan-15 16:03:38

I got one called the 'Wishing tree' or something - think it was Djeco - and It came off no problem when we had to rearrange the room.

Spincyclist Wed 28-Jan-15 00:21:48

Our disney ones, bought from b&q, came off perfectly.

Blutack, OTOH, has left grease spots all over the wall.

whitechocolatestars Wed 28-Jan-15 04:45:00

Trick is to:

1) don't put stickers on the wall before paint is at least 30 days old so it's fully set

2) run a hair dryer gently across the sticker before you peel it, that should help to loosen the adhesive

Disclaimer - might not work for all but it has for us!

lavendersun Wed 28-Jan-15 05:22:32

Another vote for Djeco, they are great, come off cleanly and have some really pretty designs.

Finola1step Wed 28-Jan-15 05:33:46

Another vote for Djeco. But by far the most important thing as already suggested, leave freshly painted walls for at least a month before applying any stickers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: