Advanced search

How to choose a good bath

(18 Posts)
Loletta Sun 25-Jan-15 22:03:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bilberry Sun 25-Jan-15 22:07:06

Best thing, if you can, is find a show room and get in them. I was going to get a doubled ended one until I got in; being doubled ended makes the effective length a lot shorter.

PigletJohn Sun 25-Jan-15 22:24:11

Thicker ones are better. Carronite are much thicker, much better, and much more expensive. If it comes with a flimsy plastic panel, throw it in the skip and get a MDF one, or use a piece of WBP ply if you are going to tile it. That will save you the trouble of taking it off to throw in the skip when it cracks after a week or two.

Despite what the fitter says, do not seal the panel in with silicone or grout so it can't be removed to change a tap or fix a leak. Fasten it with a few stainless or brass dome-headed screws.

Don't have a pop-up waste as it will leak.

Loletta Sun 25-Jan-15 23:18:26

PigletJohn Sun 25-Jan-15 23:21:15

A big bath needs a big cylinder; or a lot of time if you have a combi.

Apatite1 Mon 26-Jan-15 15:29:51

Any recommendations for a small freestanding bath? I can't find a really small one!

fridayfreedom Mon 26-Jan-15 15:37:48

And think long term if you are planning to stay in your existing home.
Baths with lots of curves and wierd shaping plus narrow ledges are a nightmare to fit bathing aids to when you get older!

Loletta Mon 26-Jan-15 17:16:41

PigletJohn Mon 26-Jan-15 18:07:51

no, a combi is limited in the amount of hot water it can deliver per minute. If you put more water through it, the temperature will go down. If you got a more powerful combi, you would probably have to run a new, larger water supply pipe out to the pavement to improve the flow, in which case you would do better to get an unvented cylinder instead of changing your boiler (or as well as).

Not all Carron baths are made of Carronite. It is an insulating and reinforcing coating they apply to the underside in the factory. It adds £hundreds. They are available in a good range of sizes. I have never found them at discounted prices. They are quite heavy to carry upstairs.

Loletta Mon 26-Jan-15 18:13:09

PigletJohn Mon 26-Jan-15 18:25:49

I don't know. it is the Carronite that is their best feature. I don't know if their other baths are any better or better value than other brands. IIRC they are around £350 which is fairly high. See if you can find the thickness of the acrylic sheet they are made of, and competing brands. Cheap ones are generally thin.

There are some heavyweight pressed steel baths that are considered good and durable. They are not ridiculously heavy, and do not chill the water like cast iron (I would never have cast iron again)

Loletta Mon 26-Jan-15 19:08:09

gobbin Mon 26-Jan-15 22:00:52

I have an acrylic bath by Royal Doulton that is 10 yrs old and still looks like new. It wasn't expensive at the time (the taps were though ha!) We were going to go for the 800 wide and went for 750 as it would've taken ages to fill. As it is, this one takes a fair bit longer than the old steel 700.

In my opinion, the quality of the fitting and your aftercare makes a huge difference to how it fares over time, more than the original fitments. I would quite happily fit a B&Q acrylic next time. My bath has never seen Cif or other abrasive cleaner. A quick wipe over with a few drops of washing up liquid (to remove grease) every time as the water is draining is enough to keep it sparkling.

gobbin Mon 26-Jan-15 22:02:18

...and we have a popup drainer that hasn't leaked...yet!

PigletJohn Mon 26-Jan-15 22:04:56

how often do you look underneath?

Shesparkles Mon 26-Jan-15 22:10:47

I'm away to do my bathroom and I'm going for a 1800x800 Carronite.
Carron is the brand name and they do the baths made out of their standard material, or Carronite which is their super duper extra thick material. Apparently very stable and really helps retain the heat, and has a 30 year guarantee. The 1800x800 in Carronite retails at about £600, although I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my lovely plumber will pass on the trade price to me! I don't know what that is yet, just that it'll be a lot less than £600!!

gobbin Tue 27-Jan-15 12:31:50

PigletJohn we had the kitchen ceiling replaced 3 yrs ago when we had the room gutted and the void between the kitchen ceiling and bathroom floor was dry, so no issues. Maybe the Royal Doulton popup is the M and S of popups lol

VeryPunny Tue 27-Jan-15 13:38:08

I went to showrooms and clambered into the baths, spending at least 10 mins in contenders....I wanted a bath that was short enough for me to sit up in when bracing my feet on the end, and deep enough that my boobs would be below the waterline!

Bought a Duravit in the end - most of their bath shapes come in a number of different sizes. It's tiled in and I love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now