Advanced search

Which sander do I need?

(3 Posts)
WastingMyYoungYears Sun 25-Jan-15 20:19:51

Does anyone know what kind of sander I should buy? Initially, I want to sand my bloody wooden kitchen worktops, but I'd also like the flexibility of being able to sand other things in the future too grin. Thanks.

PigletJohn Sun 25-Jan-15 20:33:05

an orbital sander will do smallish things up to the size of a door. If you have panelled doors measure the width of the panels and get a sander that is narrower.

For a worktop, a belt sander will be better than a small sander.

If you are not expecting to keep it for years, a cheap one from Aldi or Lidl or Screwfix will probably do. The guarantee should last long enough to get the job done and they are good about refunds and exchanges.

If you want to spend more, look at Makita or Dewalt.

Buy one with a hose attachment for the dust, and get a workshop-type canister vacuum, preferably one with a power socket that turns it on and off when you operate the sander. You will need dustmasks with a plastic valve on the snout, a hat, goggles, and ear defenders. I said Ear Defenders. EAR DEFENDERS!

WastingMyYoungYears Sun 25-Jan-15 20:48:47

Thanks PigletJohn grin. Ear defenders noted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: