Talk

Advanced search

Please give me ideas on how to layout my new kitchen!

(7 Posts)
nikki1978 Sat 24-Jan-15 22:59:28

We are starting the build on our extension in 3 weeks and I am still not 100% sure the kitchen layout I have in my head is the best use of space.

Here is a picture of the plans jim.zyne.co.uk/screens/floorlayout1.png

Ignore the green and blue lines as they are just joints and steels. The 'kitchen' and 'sitting room' are just one long room 7.95m by 4.56m. This is the room I am having trouble with. The door on the bottom right leads to our hallway, the door on the bottom left although annoyingly placed is necessary so we have access from the garage/front of house. The top end has a window on the left and french doors on the right.

The plan is to hopefully fit a kitchen at the end nearest to the hallway then have a table and small sofa area at the other end.

How would you lay it out? Considering where all the doors are laid out?

Thanks smile

HollyBdenum Sat 24-Jan-15 23:10:28

Are all the windows at the back, so no windows in the kitchen area?

What appliances do you plan on having in the kitchen?

Which way does the door on the bottom left open?

nikki1978 Sat 24-Jan-15 23:12:32

Yes all the windows at the back but the door on the bottom left (which will open outwards) will be fully glazed. There is also a large rooflight but again that is towards the back.

RaisingSteam Sat 24-Jan-15 23:37:46

Here's an alternative for you.
Depends on which of the doors is most commonly used.

The red arrow is the main route through the house to the sitting area, so keep the main kitchen work out of that line
Fridge and storage in the darkest part at the bottom

Have things to do with clearing plates, setting table, washing up, making tea, towards the sitting and dining area.

If they are building all this new they can certainly build in a duct and good ceiling extractor for your island hob - not ideal but better than having it marooned on the back wall.

If the door to the front/garage is frequently used, maybe push the island further up to give more room?

RaisingSteam Sat 24-Jan-15 23:42:10

Sorry I got the left and right mixed up. The hallway door's the right one. Mirror image all that grin

RaisingSteam Sat 24-Jan-15 23:47:18

And in that case, move the fridge up to the top left, can't the LH "pillar" be deeper so the run of kitchen units finish neatly against it?

PigletJohn Sat 24-Jan-15 23:57:58

I saw a super design where the "island" was on wheels and pulled out, with chopping boards, knives, oils, spices, pans, bins and stuff under, for food prep, and to use as a bar, and was pushed back to the wall afterwards.

It did mean no hob or sink in it, though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: