Talk

Advanced search

Deposit return

(10 Posts)
blibblibs Thu 22-Jan-15 13:24:35

Hoping that someone can help me with a deposit return question.

We moved out of our rental property a month ago and we still haven't had our deposit returned. The landlord has informed us that he has two issues - one a missing item, which has now been located and blu tac marks on the walls.

The last we heard from the agents was 3 days ago saying if the walls could not be cleaned then the rooms would need re painting.

I'm just wondering how long they have to decide if they are going to keep any of the deposit

TIA

wowfudge Thu 22-Jan-15 13:43:01

The LL can't deduct for re-painting entire rooms if the marks are only on one wall or certain walls. That would not be reasonable.

Ring the agent and ask if there is any update.

Someone asked about how long someone has to return your deposit and as far as I know, with DPS it's something like 10 days once the amount being returned has been agreed.

blibblibs Thu 22-Jan-15 13:46:54

The problem is we haven't even got to the point where they've said how much will be returned. I just wondered how long they had to decide that bit.

I've phoned the agent again but they're not very good at returning calls and the last email she sent to me was actually meant for the landlord hmm

glammanana Thu 22-Jan-15 13:55:28

Was it actual blu-tac on the walls or the marks it had left after removal ? as long as the walls aren't damaged (ie: holes etc) I am pretty sure it comes under everyday wear & tear (not 100% though)
Your deposit should be kept in a secure bank account specially for LL deposits and you should have the details on you file where it is lodged.
Keep on at the EA do not let up on them far too many get lazy when it comes to refunding deposits,in hindsight you should have invested £12 as my DS did and paint the wall before leaving,remember to do this next time.

wowfudge Thu 22-Jan-15 14:04:24

Blu tack is notorious for leaving marks that can't be removed and it is often banned in the tenancy agreement for just this reason. Blu tack marks (the greasy stains) wouldn't count as wear and tear, just as crayon scrawled over the walls by small children isn't wear and tear. Although it may be a fact of life!

specialsubject Thu 22-Jan-15 14:04:31

more nail-filing and hair flicking at the agency..

contact the scheme where the deposit is and find out what to do next. Guessing the LL is too late to deduct now anyway.

and no you don't need to have painted the wall.

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Thu 22-Jan-15 14:07:22

What deposit scheme is the deposit held under?

There will be timescales and dispute procedures on the website.

Did you have an inventory? The amount of compensation for damage due to blu tac would take account of the conditions of the walls when you moved in, how long you had been there and should really only be for "touching up".

You need to find out first where the deposit is being held so you can look at the procedures for return. Remember it is usually from end date of tenancy if this is different from the day you physically moved out.

blibblibs Thu 22-Jan-15 14:09:09

Its just the greasy marks, not actual blu tac.

I had a disagreement with DH over the marks - he moved a couple of months before us and I reckoned we should paint over them, he reckoned it was general wear and tear. Wish I'd just found the time to paint them now. You live and learn - no posters up in this house.

More worried now that I've tried to log into the deposit scheme and they have no record of our deposit sad

OliviaBenson Thu 22-Jan-15 14:13:20

If they haven't registered your deposit you are in a very strong position. More knowledgable people will be along soon but I thought they had to be registered and you can actually sue them and get 3x the amount back.

blibblibs Thu 22-Jan-15 14:14:44

Found it blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: