Talk

Advanced search

keeping builders sweet

(16 Posts)
Kieron79 Wed 21-Jan-15 20:06:11

we are due to begin our new extension in 3 1/2 weeks which will last approx. 7/8 weeks and cant wait for the build to get underway.
Was just wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping builders/contractors on side (though admittedly don't envisage any issues a s he's a great guy)
little things like their own cups/kettle etc..

Marmitelover55 Wed 21-Jan-15 20:25:21

Nice tea, coffee and biscuits rather than the cheapest you can find!

Kieron79 Wed 21-Jan-15 20:29:10

yeah our builder drinks tea by the gallon load apparently so will def be stocking up before the build.

sacbina Wed 21-Jan-15 20:38:45

treat them as skilled craftsmen, not 'just a builder'. you've employed them to do work that you cannot do yourselves, that takes a level of skill, and in this weather a lot of tea smile

treat them as you would like to be treated

Kieron79 Wed 21-Jan-15 20:42:38

Obviously I will be treating them with respect, Im not a tyrant! just wondering if little things like bacon/sausage sarnies on a Friday etc is the way to go

Marmitelover55 Wed 21-Jan-15 21:12:31

We did do bacon saltines on a Friday - went down very well. Also the odd beer also on a Friday (later), but we were a summer build.

PigletJohn Wed 21-Jan-15 21:20:20

don't be too soft or some will take advantage.

Give them a tray with one mug each, and a kettle, a box of teabags, a jar of decent coffee, and a box of sugar cubes (not granulated as they will spill it) and a carton of milk a day. Don't offer a waitress service.

If they leave their mug up a ladder or full of paintbrushes, don't give them a new one, or you will find all your mugs disappear.

lemisscared Wed 21-Jan-15 21:22:55

be understanding when things don't go according to plan. there are bound to be done issues but a good builder will find a solution so don't panic! leave them their own tea/cups and don't keep offering cups of tea. Don't become mrs "could you just" adding extras or changing your mind and then making an shock face if it costs more (people do this alot).

if there is something you are unsure about ask at the time.

generally just be friendly and you'll have them eating out of your hands.

we go that extra mile for people who are friendly and polite. tea is really optional.

Passthecake30 Wed 21-Jan-15 21:29:10

Dp is a builder, he doesn't expect much. Does drink copious cups of tea when working, especially when it's cold. I'm pretty sure he doesn't get bacon sarnies and regular biscuits, though when we've had work done at ours I've always treated his help to a doughnut or something on a Saturday.

If they are going to use your toilet leave a dark towel out for their hands/cover the floor to the way if you can.

Tell them when you are going out.

Say thanks at the end of the job, and a small recognition at the end would do wonders - a couple of bottles of beer or something...this hardly ever happens but makes his day.

Don't talk too much to them if they don't want to, follow their lead as hours spent chatting = a longer job, less money.

Marmitelover55 Wed 21-Jan-15 21:29:51

I think I was a bit very soft but thankfully they were great and didn't take advantage. They finished in July but still seem to be happy to come back for free snagging.

sacbina Wed 21-Jan-15 21:30:17

kieron chill!!! I meant that just because they are doing manual labour doesn't make them cavemen. my builders had many stories to tell of sites where they were treated as crap

lemisscared Wed 21-Jan-15 21:33:31

i labour for my dp - people never treat us like cavemen. they would be told to do one. i have a phd grin but not in building.

paulapantsdown Wed 21-Jan-15 21:40:57

All of the above, especially treating skilled tradespeople as just that - mutual respect goes a long way to making a build happy!

Don't be that "while your here, could you just .... customers".

sacbina Wed 21-Jan-15 22:10:43

oh, and I speak as someone whose job pre dc, involved manual labour

Kieron79 Thu 22-Jan-15 06:43:38

Thanks for advice, looks like Friday will be sarnie day and enough coffee/tea to sink a ship, still not sure what's meant about cavemen comment, they are skilled at their job, just as I'm skilled at mine so don't see why I would even contemplate treating them any different

Eastwickwitch Thu 22-Jan-15 07:11:54

And most importantly, pay on time. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: