Talk

Advanced search

Fluorescent tube light - starter going?

(5 Posts)
wowfudge Wed 21-Jan-15 12:12:29

If that isn't a contradiction in terms! We have a strip light in our utility room and recently it has been taking ages to come on. This morning I was in there cleaning some shoes as I waited for the light to come on and it flickered at one end several times before it eventually came on.

Does this sound like the starter needs replacing or the tube itself do you think? Looking at the casing I can't see where the starter fits so was wondering whether starter and tube are one unit for some designs?

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Wed 21-Jan-15 12:36:45

It sounds like the starter. Do you have any striplights anywhere else (the garage?) so you could transfer the starter and see it that solves the problem before you buy what you need?

wowfudge Wed 21-Jan-15 12:46:16

Thanks Alpha. Yes, there are two more striplights in the garage right next door so I can try one of those starters. I think they are all the same type. There's an electrical factor place near work too so I won't have to pay DIY store prices for a replacement, if that's what it is.

wowfudge Wed 21-Jan-15 12:47:13

I think I know where to look for the starter too having had a look at a youtube demo.

PigletJohn Wed 21-Jan-15 16:35:57

it's usually the starter.

If the tube itself is worn out, you usually see the ends of it look darker than the middle.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: