Talk

Advanced search

where to put the boiler?

(6 Posts)
katcatkat Tue 20-Jan-15 12:32:35

We have not long moved into a 60's townhouse with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms over 3 floors. The boiler is in the middle of the L shaped ground floor kitchen and the entire central heating system needs replacing as its single pipe system with ancient radiators that are inefficient and we cant add a thermostat (easily anyway)
We have had 2 boiler companies round one wanted to put the boiler into the ground floor garage venting to the front of the house near the gas supply.
The second wanted to put the boiler on the top floor as we would get better system flow in either the bathroom or second bedroom.
Anyone else got any tips we are looking at combi boilers.

limesoda Tue 20-Jan-15 12:59:30

From what I understand (v basic) the taps closest to the boiler get hot water first. For that reason, ours will probably be in the kitchen, because I want hot water there instantly, whereas I don't mind waiting a minute or two for the shower.

This might be outdated information though...

katcatkat Tue 20-Jan-15 16:35:48

That makes sense im just so confused on what is best for the pipe access etc the current kitchen location is best but it is really in the way which is why I want itmoved.

dementedpixie Wed 21-Jan-15 12:05:33

a combi wouldnt be the only option especially if you have a bigger house with multiple bathrooms. Have you looked at other types of boiler e.g. system or conventional?

Rosings25 Wed 21-Jan-15 12:17:07

Boilers make some noise so make sure that the siting will not annoy someone in the household.

PigletJohn Wed 21-Jan-15 16:07:13

Modern boilers are rather quiet, except for combis which fire up with a large flame and fast fan speed, especially for baths and showers.

IMO the two most important things with a new boiler are:

Must be close to an internal drain, such as a sink waste, so the condensate pipe can be plumbed in without going outside. Apart from being unsightly, external pipes are prone to freeze in cold weather, which is exactly the time you don't want your boiler to stop working

Must be in a place where the steam plume will not blow past your windows or shroud the front of the house in a cloud in cold weather. Again this is worse with combis.

It must also be close to a gas pipe and a water pipe, but that is not difficult to fix.

Don't put it in the loft. It will be tiresome to get to, and unless you have a fixed ladder with guard rails round the hatch, good lighting, and a safe floor, many maintainers will refuse to service it. Lofts are also very cold in winter, so it will keep firing up to prevent itself freezing.

If you have more than one bathroom, consider an unvented cylinder such as the Megaflo brand. It can provide unsurpassed hot water.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: