Talk

Advanced search

Giving notice on a rolling (monthly) rental property..

(4 Posts)
rumbelina Mon 19-Jan-15 16:36:40

We moved in on the 6th of the month but we pay our rent on the 22nd as we paid a bit more in advance so the money comes out just after payday.

Our year's contract was up on the 6th a few months ago. So does this mean we give one month's notice up to the 6th of the month or the 22nd? I'm assuming the 6th but keep reading things about it being the day you pay rent....does anyone know for certain?

InfinitySeven Mon 19-Jan-15 16:38:07

The 22nd.

We are in the same situation. You need to give your notice before the 22nd, because that's the rental period start, and leave on the 21st of the next month.

We got advice from Shelter and a solicitor, and we've now given notice which has all gone fine, so I'm 100% that this is correct!

rumbelina Tue 20-Jan-15 09:09:32

Thank you for that, I don't really mind which it is but need to know for budgeting/completion dates etc.

I'm going to call the letting agent anyway now as I've remembered they're not the most competent!!

Sunnyshores Tue 20-Jan-15 10:36:50

The rental period is the the date your tenancy started as stated on your AST. When you pay your rent, or your actual move in date, has nothing to do with it.

So if your contract started ie 6th November 2013 and is no longer in the fixed period, then you can give one months notice by the 6th of whatever month to leave the 5th of the following month - so notice by 6th February to leave 5th March 2015.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: